At Discover Financial Services (DFS) you will find yourself in the company of some of the industrys smartest and most reliable professionals. And at the company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth. Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Built on the foundation on mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other.The Internal Audit Enterprise Risk Management Leadership Program Associate uses operational and technical skills to support the DFS Internal Audit Department objectives. With oversight from the Lead and Supervisor the Internal Audit Associate is assigned to a schedule of internal audit reviews where they will follow the DFS Internal Audit methodology, interview clients, create process flows and narratives, review business processes, identify and assess controls, test key controls, develop findings and communicate with clients to develop and follow up on action plans.The audits and special reviews will be of the Direct Banking (Marketing, Operations, Consumer Banking and Credit Risk Management), Human Resources, Finance, Corporate Risk Management, Payment Services, IT General Controls, IT Network and Infrastructure, Models, or Corporate Support, with an objective to improve controls and efficiencies of the activities reviewed.
Audit Lifecycle: (Planning, fieldwork, reporting, post reporting, budgeting/resources)
With oversight from the Lead and Supervisor:Attend walkthrough meetings and document narratives/flowcharts
Complete the audit tasks that are assigned
Assist with the identification and documentation of risks, controls and tests in the automated work paper system
Attend and contribute to all periodic update meetings with internal audit management
Document work papers in accordance with Internal Audit Methodology or direction provided by the lead in a concise and logical manner
Understand how applications and related Information Technology (IT) risks and controls support achievement of business processing objectives
Experience with automated work paper system (Pentana) is a plus
Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
As an Associate independently:Demonstrate an awareness of Internal Audit Methodology by actively participating in every phase of the audit including planning, fieldwork and reporting (i.e. International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF) and Committee of Sponsoring Organizations (COSO) 2013)
Complete assigned audits/audit tasks using department tools, standards and guidelines within established timetables with high quality results
Possess an awareness of the business unit activities under audit
Escalate potential findings in a concise format to the audit lead for discussion
Follow-up of assigned actions from the audit (status updates and verifications)
Strategic Thinking: (Thought leadership practices):
Continue to develop skill sets by meeting required training and obtaining advanced degrees and/or certification pursuant to department guidelines
Contribute to department Initiatives to improve Internal Audit processes and assist the department in achieving its purpose and meeting its goal
Participate in special projects or other duties as assigned
Professional Practices and Reporting
Familiarity with the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF)
Participate in department Quality Assurance and Improvement Program (QAIP)
Participate in department training and development program including coordinating Internal Audit New Employee Orientation, enhancing the department regulatory training program, bringing various trainings in-house, tracking department progress on training requirements
Exhibit ability to establish and leverage team and client relationships
- Individuals enrolled in an accredited Bachelors Program who will have completed their senior year by June 2018
- Must have a graduation date between December 2017 - June 2018
- A minimum of a 3.0 GPA on 4.0 grade point average scale
- This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
- Working towards a degree in a accounting, finance, business or related field, computer science related discipline.
- Practical experience in compliance, risk management activities, audit, or regulatory examinations helpful
- Experience in Financial Services, Banking, Credit Card or Public Accounting preferred
- Individuals that have achieved professional credentials, or working toward professional certification preferred (CIA, CAMS, CRMC, CPA, CISA, or other relevant certification)
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication skills
- High energy and intellectual curiosity
- Strong analytical skills and a consultative approach to addressing customer needs
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems creatively
- Ability to apply previous experience and knowledge to new situations and problems
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to interact with and influence employees at all different levels
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to translate ideas into clear priorities
- Ability to resolve ambiguity and analyze data to surface insights
- Operates as a team player
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (including Excel, Word, PowerPoint & Access)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service.