The Superintendent is responsible for providing leadership in manufacturing excellence, ensuring customer satisfaction and continuous improvement of plant performance measurements (quality, productivity, cycle time, delivery and cash flow). This position has overall accountability and provides direction for hourly and manufacturing support employees via direct reports (area leaders).
Job responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Ensure the safety of all employees by promoting a clean and safe work environment.
- Improve manufacturing planning, execution, and shop floor discipline.
- Provide leadership for Plant ABS and lean manufacturing initiatives.
- Provide leadership to identify and remove non value added waste.
- Improve product flow and/or implement method improvements to reduce labor content.
- Develop and train for the professional and personal growth of team leaders, cell facilitators, supervisors and other manufacturing support personnel.
- Address any safety issues or non compliances immediately.
- Promote Injury Free Event (IFE) reporting and H.P. initiatives
- Accountable for applicable department budgets.
- Maintain good relations and communication with AHLC customers.
- Develop with plant manager and staff budget, strategic plans, team goals and objectives that align with BU objectives.
- Flow down goals and objectives to the entire organization.
- Contribute to other location specific and corporate teams.
- Maintain excellent delivery performance.
- Conduct capacity analysis to drive standard work and ensure accuracy of standards.
- Drive cost reductions to improve profitability.
- Use lean manufacturing tools to reduce WIP and cycle time.
- Communicate all relevant information to Staff, customers and management.
- Understand constraint management, OEE and apply techniques that exploit constraints to improve OEE.
- Provide leadership in implementing continuous improvement methods and ideas.
- Consults with engineering personnel relative to modifications to the process in order to improve production and quality of the products.
- Provide leadership in a safety and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Operations Manager
- Maintain an excellent attendance record
- Be willing to travel on work related business
- Perform duties in a safe and efficient manner
- Follow Howmet’s Safety Regulations and work Rules Handbook along with all department specific safety requirements.
- Confers with management personnel to establish production and quality control standards, develop budget and cost controls, and to obtain data regarding types, quantities, specifications, and delivery dates of products ordered.
- Plans and directs production activities and establishes production priorities for products and services in keeping with effective operations and cost factors.
- Coordinates production activities with procurement, maintenance, and quality control activities to obtain optimum production and utilization of human resources, machines, and equipment.
- Develops and implements operating methods and procedures designed to eliminate operating problems and improve product quality.
- Consults with engineering personnel relative to modification of machines and equipment in order to improve production and quality of products.
- Compiles, stores, and retrieves production data.
- Directs, supervises, leads and coaches direct reports (area leaders).
- Maintains quality and reduces inventory levels and lead times.
- Assists facilitators in performing their duties.
- Attends various meetings.
- Analyzes schedules, makes adjustments if necessary.
- Analyzes production reports, makes adjustments if necessary.
- Participates in safety and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Prepares performance reviews for direct reports and reviews indirect reports reviews.
- Must comply with all company attendance policies and guidelines; this includes, but is not limited to, regular attendance and occasional overtime.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills
- Effective communicator, strong coaching/employee development skills
- Knowledge of machine setup reduction techniques
- Material Resource Planning
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Programs
- Demonstrated ability to make “tough decisions”/Managerial Courage
- Business literacy
- Strong organizational/time management skills
Strong personal drive to excel.
A little about us:
Alcoa is a global leader in lightweight metals technology, engineering and manufacturing, innovating multi-material solutions that advance our world.