At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Senior Software Engineer for the Health Information Systems Division located in Silver Spring, MD. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
Most Recent great-news / Awards: 3M received recognition as being A Most Ethical Company! Promoting Ethical Business standards and practices internally, enabling managers and employees to make good choices, and shaping future industry standards by introducing tomorrow's best practices today. Honorees have historically out-performed others financially, demonstrating the connection between good ethical practices and performances that's valued. To View this recognition, please visit: http://bit.ly/EthisphereWorldsMostEthicalCompanyAwardJob Summary
The person hired for the position of Senior Software Engineer
- Work on our Natural Language Processing (NLP) Computer Assisted Coding platform
- You will play a key role in building core software that processes over 50 million medical records per month
- As a member of a scrum team, you will be expected to help in all facets of software development, from planning to development to support
- You will work closely with team members to determine the best way to solve challenging problems, and with other teams to integrate into a large and complex software solution
- You should be able to work well in a small, fast-paced Scrum team while collaborating with Product Owners, subject matter experts, and customers
- We write and maintain everything from large web-based applications to small scripts that make our data flow smoothly. All code runs in a Linux environment, so Linux expertise is essential
- Most of the code will touch a database at some point, so a thorough knowledge of MySQL is a big plus
- If you like to work hard with great people and make a difference, we're looking for you
- This position requires the ability to provide technical leadership, design expertise and coding expertise to other team members
include but are not limited to the following:
Diverse & Inclusive 3M
- Lead projects and initiatives to ensure improvement of web application, infrastructure and framework
- Develop software components based on requirements, architecture and design specifications
- Apply Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) concepts and principles to software development
- Work with other Software engineers, clinical analysts, product owners, and other team members and stakeholders to design and build required functionality
- Ability to ship finished features quickly and participate in deployments and monitoring the system after changes
- Adhere to and evolve design and development procedures and standards
3M is a place where you can collaborate with other curious, creative people. Where your diverse talents, inclusiveness, initiative and leadership are valued. Where you'll find challenging opportunities that make your career exciting and rewarding. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place to grow and be rewarded for excellence.Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher from an accredited university
- Minimum of seven or more (7+) years in a software engineering role for a software product company
- Minimum of seven or more (7+) years of experience with at least one programming language
- Strong knowledge of Linux and SQL (MySQL preferred)
- Experience with user interface design and human factors
- A love of creative problem solving
- Ability to research and learn independently
- Strong technical leadership skills
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Travel: May include up to 10% domestic
Relocation: Is not authorizedBenefits Information:
The position is subject to the benefit package under 3M Health Information Systems benefits program. Details will be shared with you at the time of interview with the hiring manager. Please ask your recruiter for details.
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.