Under general direction, is responsible for the sale of Johnson Controls building technology and service offerings to U.S. Federal Government public works leaders and tenant agencies, primarily at the Director, Colonel, Lt Colonel, or Commander level. Delivers the Johnson Controls value proposition to customers by consulting on technical solutions to improve building environments and reduce lifecycle costs. Uses strategic account management practices to build and manage long term customer relationships/partnerships with key and target accounts. Responsible for customer satisfaction. Positions annual service agreements as the foundation of account relationships. Executes the sales process to cultivate, qualify and close new sales opportunities. Utilize sales tools to plan and document progress as well as increase business opportunity at accounts. Obtain and close sales on a monthly basis. Seeks to expand the depth and breadth of Johnson Controls offerings (HVAC, building automation, electronic security, fire alarm and suppression, distributed energy storage) to support customer goals.
Location: Position will support the Washington D.C. Metro area
Benefits: Eligible for benefits on first day of employment
1. With direction from the supervising manager, sells Johnson Controls building technology and services offerings persuasively, persistently and confidently to Federal agency decision makers at the D-level while reaching optimal profit levels. Focuses on improving the existing building to achieve agency objectives. Sells large, complex upgrade projects along with multi-year renewable preventative maintenance and emergency service agreements to assigned accounts.
2. Applies strategic account management practices to understand the customer's goals and implements a joint planning approach to make Johnson Controls an irreplaceable partner in achieving those goals.
3. Builds partnering relationships with public works/facilities leaders or key tenants responsible for the decision-making process to drive the sale of Johnson Controls offerings. Actively listens, probes and identifies concerns. Understands the customer's business and speaks their language.
4. Seeks out, targets and initiates contact with multiple prospective customers. Keeps manager informed of sales progress and changes in the marketplace. Develops and maintains a network of contacts. Understands and leverages the sales process as well as demonstrates evidence of gaining small trial closes. Shares technical knowledge plus operations expertise (when to maintain, when to replace) with the customer.
5. Addresses customer's operational and environmental objectives, needs and requirements. Recommends solutions and links customer objectives to total value solution and competitive advantage.
6. Develops rough order magnitude pricing for budgeting and helps customer quantify the business case to secure budget approval. Educates customer on Federal or agency-specific funding programs or IDIQ contract vehicles that may support their goals.
7. Frequently creates competitive, high quality and timely estimates, proposals, and cost/benefit analysis. Effectively writes, and presents proposals. Secures internal management approval based on contract size per Delegation of Authority matrix prior to presenting it to the customer. With support from the supervising manager negotiates value, addresses resistance and closes the sale.
8. Utilizes applicable customer relationship management and account planning tools effectively increase business opportunity in accounts. Manages the high activity of the pipeline in CRM tools with a focus on sales phase, close date, and probability of a close
9. Solicits support from and communicates effectively with operations team to ensure customer satisfaction. Leverages both product experts and Federal vertical market experts within Johnson Controls to teach customers for differentiation.
10. Acts as the customer's advocate in interactions with Johnson Controls to ensure the customer obtains the best value from the Johnson Controls offerings. Sets appropriate customer expectations on Johnson Controls product and service offerings.
11. Keeps management informed of progress and account status. Calls for assistance from manager to keep the sales process moving.
12. Participates in professional organizations (e.g. local Society of American Military Engineers chapters).
1. Bachelor's degree in engineering or related discipline required. MBA preferred.
2. Five (5) or more years of progressive field sales experience.
3. Three (3) or more years sales experience focused on building technology or services preferred.
4. Demonstrated subject matter expertise in energy management, HVAC systems, building automation, SCADA, microgrids, fire alarm & protection, and/or electronic security systems highly preferred.
5. Demonstrates a commitment to integrity and quality in business. Excellent initiative and interpersonal communications skills. Demonstrated ability to influence account decision makers at key levels.
6. Demonstrated understanding of U.S. Federal Government agency budgeting and contracting (acquisition) processes preferred.
7. Certified Energy Manager (CEM) Certification & LEED AP accreditations preferred.
8. U.S. Citizen with ability to acquire Department of Defense Security Clearances required.
9. Proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Project required.
10. Ability to travel within the region approximately 50% required (mostly local travel)
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.