Under general direction, responsible for the sale of large volume, integrated, Building Automation Systems (BAS) and technology solutions to contractors and consultants responsible for new construction and renovation building projects. Promote the JCI value proposition to executive level contractors and consultants by providing comprehensive technology solutions for the customer's business and operational needs Builds and manages long term customer relationships/partnerships with key and target general contractors and architectural and engineering principles. Responsible for customer satisfaction.. Executes the sales process to aid in cultivating and managing long-term relationships and in seeking out, qualifying and closing new sales opportunities. Utilizes sales tools to plan and document progress as well as increase business opportunity in accounts. Leverage monthly checkpoints to gain progressive commitments from the customer. Seeks to expand the depth and breadth of offerings within that account. Selects customer pursuit teams for major opportunities by combining members from outside Area and outside Systems team. PRINCIPAL DUTIES:
- Sells, with minimal supervision, the JCI offerings persuasively, persistently and confidently to building owners at the C-level while reaching optimal profit levels. Manages ongoing sales process, develops relationship, responds to and anticipates customer needs. Focus on a few projects while managing one to two at a time. Particularly focusing on selling HVAC Control Systems. Equipment, and building automation technology.
- Builds partnering relationships with the owner or owner representatives responsible for the decision making process to drive the system technology sales of JCI offerings. Actively listens, probes and identifies concerns. Understands the customer's business and speak their language.
- Demonstrates technical expertise and business acumen to develop credibility, loyalty, trust and commitment.
- Seeks out, targets and initiates contact with multiple contractors and consultants responsible for the decision making of systems purchases in new and renovated buildings. Develops network of contacts.
- Uses JCI Sales process within the construction development process to position JCI as only responsible and responsive provider. Demonstrates technical knowledge and a solution that matches the customer's project challenge to provide value to the customer and favorably position JCI. Qualifies and assesses potential customers. Refers leads to other business segments.
- Addresses customer's operational and environmental objectives, needs and requirements. Recommends solutions and links customer objectives to total value solution and competitive advantage. Applies knowledge of competitor's business strategies, control products and solutions to favorably differentiate JCI from them.
- Positively and credibly influences design and construction with contractors and consultants. Frequently creates competitive, high quality and timely estimates, bids, proposals, and cost/benefit analysis. Effectively writes, presents and communicates bids. Negotiates value, addresses resistance when demonstrated and closes the sale. Differentiates JCI as a total building environment supplier.
- Utilizes applicable sales tools effectively (SMIS, Account Management plan and website, Account Plan and TAS) to plan, communicates and documents progress as well as increase business opportunity in accounts. Leverages JCI sales process monthly checkpoints to gain progressive commitments from the customer. Manages process steps of the pipeline in SMIS with a focus on next steps, action items and milestone dates.
- Leads the sales team by building and fostering team relationships to ensure customer satisfaction. Solicits support from and communicates effectively with internal staff. Develops relationship with Solutions and Service sales organization to exceed customers' expectations. Owns and facilitates the customer relationship.
- Assists in the development of the team or Area Office Systems sales and marketing plans and strategies. Aides in the implementation of these strategies and action plans. Targets new customers based on vertical market strategies.
- Keeps management informed of progress and account status. Knows when to call for assistance from upper management to keep the sales process moving.
- Attends and presents at trade show. Participates in professional organizations.
Bachelor's degree in business, engineering, or related discipline required. MBA preferred. A minimum of five to seven years of progressive field sales experience at the C-level. Construction industry knowledge required. Excellent initiative, and interpersonal communications skills. Demonstrated ability to influence the market at key levels. Ability to travel 50%.
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.