The Accountant II - Tax position is responsible for, and oversees under the direction of the Tax Manager, all aspects of state and local sales and use tax matters for various companies. The scope of responsibility includes research of technical issues, audit and refund assistance, issuance of sales tax guidance and assistance to personnel throughout the Company and the conduct of tax training. This position will interact with BSNA, Business Unit Offices, clients and outside vendors in an advisory role to provide assistance and support as needed. The overall goals of this position are to ensure compliance with the sales and use tax laws, to develop and implement strategies to minimize and reduce the overall tax burden of the Company, to minimize audit payments and exposure issues, to implement process improvements and to identify, develop and share best practices.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- Provide technical assistance and support to Company on all system-related transaction tax issues including clearing SAP EDI tax errors and making recommendations to resolve prospectively.
- Conduct any necessary tax research for the Vertex Tax Decision Maker.
- Provide technical assistance and support to Shared Services personnel (AP, GL, Fixed Assets, etc.) and the Company as appropriate on all state and local sales and use tax issues, conduct any necessary tax research, make suggestions and recommendations and coordinate as appropriate to implement.
- Maintain and issue exemption/resale certificates to vendors as appropriate for various legal entities.
- Monitor, respond to and resolve any Sales Tax Group “Mailbox” related questions and issues.
- Assist in the gathering of information and analysis related to jurisdictional audits and refund studies being handled by the Sales Tax Group Managers and Specialists.
- Review monthly filings by staff level accountants for accuracy.
- Identify best practices and procedures and develop recommendations for BSNA, clients and business operating units to minimize their tax burden and to improve the compliance process.
- Ensure compliance with GAAP, Standard Accounting Manual, and other Company policies and procedures.
- Review and revise compliance process as necessary to enhance efficiency and accuracy.
- Monthly account reconciliation and journal entries.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- High level of customer service
- Communicate with taxing authorities, clients, and other key stakeholders.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Minimum 4 years of general accounting, tax or relevant work experience required.
- Minimum 2 years of transaction tax experience required.
- Work experience should include extensive knowledge of general accounting principles and practical compliance experience in the sales and use tax area.
- Experience is required in a work environment dealing with large corporate multi-state affairs, preferably in industry, or similar surroundings.
- Vertex and SAP R/3 experience preferred
- Experience in the beverage industry is a plus
- Flexibility to adjust work load and hours when necessary.
- Member of IPT preferred.
**A credit check is required
Coca-Cola Refreshments is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
A little about us:
Coca-Cola’s success would not be possible without the world’s best employees. We invite you to challenge yourself, join us and prosper.