Frankfort Regional Medical Center
Job Title: Senior Accountant
Department: General Accounting
Reports to: Controller
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Summary: The Senior Accountant is responsible for assisting the Controller & Assistant Controller in the day-to-day operations of the Accounting Department including accounting, reporting, budgeting, internal control functions and other duties as needed.
1. Prepare monthly journal entries, financial & statistical analyses, & other reports as needed to ensure hospital operations are accurately reflected & in accordance with GAAP.
2. Complete monthly reconciliations for facility balance sheet accounts, obtaining support for all balances.
3. Conduct periodic assessments of facility internal controls to ensure compliance with both organizational policies & Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) requirements.
4. Prepare monthly Medicare Cost Report supporting workpapers & assist in the completion of the annual report.
5. Participate in the development & tracking of the annual facility operating & capital budgets.
6. Assist hospital administrative team & departmental managers with projects or questions as needed.
7. Maintain facility accounts payable system, submitting vendor invoices & facility check requests for payment, accurately coding expenses to the proper general ledger account, & researching payment discrepancies as necessary.
8. Ensure hospital vendor & physician contracts are properly maintained & followed.
9. Assist in the completion of workpapers necessary to file & pay all facility taxes, including sales, provider, income, & property taxes.
• Reports to work on time and is ready to start work
• Utilizes appropriate resources to complete assignments within allocated time period
• Performs accurately and in a timely manner in periods of increased work-loads and high stress
• Follows through with assignments and informs supervisor if unable to complete tasks
• Employee adheres to Meal/Break policy and time clock procedures, punching in and out appropriately.
• Adapts to changes in volume/acuity demands
• When work is complete, seeks additional tasks
• Supports responsible staffing decisions ( low volume, stand-by, on-call)
• Maintains and organizes supplies appropriately
• Demonstrates efforts to eliminate waste
• Demonstrates ability to set priorities
• Demonstrates problem solving ability using appropriate resources
• Identifies opportunities to take action to build strategic relationships to help achieve goals
• Exchanges information with potential partners to clarify partnership benefits and potential problems
• Collaboratively determines the scope and expectations of the partnership so that both departments' needs can be met
• Places higher priority on organization's goals than department's goals
• Anticipates effects of department's actions and decisions on partners
• Influences others to support partnership objectives
• Interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization
• Shares thoughts, feelings and rationale so that others understand personal positions
• Demonstrates honesty, keeps commitments and behaves in a consistent manner
• Listens to others and objectively considers others' ideas and opinions, even when they conflict with own
• Treats people with dignity, respect and fairness
• Gives proper credit to others
• Stands up for deserving others and their ideas even in the face of resistance
Passion for Results:
• Drives high standards for individual, team and organizational accomplishment
• Sets challenging goals and high performance standards for self and others
• Initiates action and moves others toward envisioned outcomes
• Corrals energy day-to-day to maintain momentum and a sense of urgency toward desired results
• Works relentlessly to overcome obstacles
• Is dissatisfied until results have been achieved
• Derives satisfaction from goal achievement and continuous improvement
• Clearly and succinctly conveys information to individuals and groups
• Uses forceful and compelling language and tone to stimulate other's thinking and actions
• Uses vivid analogies and illustrations to create mental images
• Uses visual aids when appropriate to enhance impact of the message
• Conveys messages logically, simply, succinctly and at the right pace, does not digress
• Checks audience's understanding, presents messages in different ways to enhance their understanding
• Uses correct grammar and punctuation
• Uses a format and terminology appropriate to the topic and audience
• Demonstrates teamwork and cooperation, works well with others
• Serves as a resource in an effective manner to other departments as needed
• Identifies customer service issues
• Creates customer-focused practices to assure customer satisfaction
• Is cognizant of age specific, cultural and physical needs of customer in providing service
• Accurately checks processes and tasks
• Follows procedures
• Ensures high quality output
• Has working knowledge of the operation of the department or seeks guidance from appropriate personnel
• Reports equipment malfunctions to appropriate personnel and correctly completes work order
• Assures safe and clean environment; keeps area clutter free
• Takes action
Personal &Professional Development:
• Accepts responsibility for assessment of self-learning needs and identifies resources to accomplish personal and professional development
• Actively participates in committees as assigned
• Attends all mandatory education annually
• Makes independent decisions, manages multiple priorities
• Organized, self-directed, requires minimum supervision
• Displays professional pride
• Demonstrates an understanding of and adherence to HCA's Code of Conduct
• Conduct reflects HCA's values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting (or Related Field)
Licensure/Certifications: CPA Preferred, but not required
Experience: 1 year full-time accounting experience required; hospital accounting experience preferred
The work environment characteristics described on the Physical Demands page of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom