Provides acoustic and vibration technical support on a wide variety of commercial HVAC products, including air handlers, fan coil units, VAV terminals and GRDs. The position supports product development, testing and sales with research, product design, analytical modeling, test coordination and diagnostics.
The individual participates in the establishment of product sound requirements and is usually a member of several product development teams. The individual has a good understanding of industry sound rating standards and other equipment sound test methods. The individual has a basic understanding of the design, sound rating, performance and cost of competitive equipment and knows how the JCI equipment is positioned in the market with respect to these attributes. The individual is very skilled in acoustic and vibration test methods.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide direction and advice to product development teams for quiet, reliable and low cost designs.
• Plan, schedule, coordinate and report on acoustic and vibration testing.
• Provide sound ratings to Marketing for publication.
• Develop algorithms for equipment sound ratings in equipment selection programs.
• Review patents and papers to understand the limits of technology and IP in the industry.
• Analyze design options using acoustic FE and SEA analysis software.
• Research competitive equipment with respect to sound and air performance ratings.
• Take a leadership role in research and standardization activities of professional and trade associations.
• Provide root-cause analysis relating to warranty/service cases.
• Adhere to the Company's Business Ethics Standards
To perform this job successfully, the individual must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, particularly in the form of test reports and presentations. The ability to work with a team of engineers on fast paced projects and an understanding of the product development process (PDP) is a requirement.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
1. Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field of study. An advanced degree, MS, in acoustics or vibration specialty is a plus.
2. Minimum 2 years of experience in the field of acoustics and vibration, relating to consulting engineering, product development or research. Experience in the HVAC industry is a plus.
3. Good understanding of applicable equipment rating and test standards, including those of the Air-Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration Institute (AHRI), ASHRAE, AMCA International, International Organization for Standardization (ISO), American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and ASTM International.
4. Skilled in the use of analysis and test software, such as: ESI VA-One, LMS Sysnoise, ANSYS, ME Scope, Mueller PAK and MATLAB.
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.