North Florida Regional Healthcare is an organization centered around the community hospitals in Gainesville, Florida -- North Florida Regional Medical Center (NFRMC) and Lake City Medical Center (LCMC). NFRMC is a 432-bed, full-service medical and surgical acute care center serving North Central Florida and offering comprehensive cardiovascular care , oncology , orthopedics , neurosciences , minimally-invasive laparoscopic and robotic surgery , weight loss surgery and treatment , women's health and wound therapy , among other services. Administrative Director of Laboratory Services Position Summary:
The Administrative Director of Laboratory is responsible for directing the 24-hour operations and activities of the clinical laboratory to meet organizational and regulatory requirements. Responsible for laboratory specimen collection, specimen management, clerical functions, in-house and referral testing services.
Actively participates in strategic and budgetary planning for assigned areas of responsibility.
Provides direction to department personnel to achieve operational and technical objectives including workflow design, service quality, financial performance, regulatory compliance, personnel management, patient satisfaction, healthy work environment, and integration of intra and inter-departmental activities. Position Responsibilities:
- Is proficient with personal computers and information systems relative to job duties
- Excellent team building and organizational skill to interact with co-workers to promote a harmonious and cooperative working environment
- Thorough knowledge and application of principles of effective communication
- Ability to plan, organize and effectively present ideas and concepts to groups
- Ability to assimilate information from a variety of sources, analyze and recommend action to be taken
- Well organized with persistent follow through technique
- Demonstrates skill required to supervise, teach and motivate staff
- Demonstrates excellent problem solving and sound decision making skills
- Development and monitoring of statistical analysis of quality measurements and standards
- Continually monitors and stays abreast of legislative and regulatory changes affecting the laboratory industry, and ensures changes are accurately communicated to affected departments and implemented on a timely basis
- Follows safety policies and procedures
- Protects sensitive and confidential information by actively participating in the Security Awareness program
- Adheres to company policies and standards regarding security
- Completes assigned Healthstream courses on an annual basis
- Available to work during disasters.
Quality Improvement Functions:
- Concurrently monitors employee and departmental performance to ensure adherence to policies and procedures, timelines and regulatory requirements
- Reviews all departmental policies and procedures at least annually and revises, as needed. Develops, implements and monitors new policies and procedures as needed
- Ensures that department employees attend all mandatory IRL/departmental in-services and staff meetings
- Develops monitoring systems for the collection, documentation and reporting of quality assessment and improvement data; extracts pertinent information from quality assessment and improvement studies, initiates corrective action plans, and re-monitors results
- Evaluates existing systems and processes and develops corrective action plans for service/quality trends identified Initiates changes and monitors for improvement
- Ensures that departments proactively respond to feedback from customers (internal and external) and implements improvement mechanisms to enhance the overall ability of the department to meet the customer's needs for laboratory services
Human Resource Functions:
- Concurrently monitors resource utilization, including payroll, supplies and expenses, client volume and revenue variation reports, outpatient volume reports, mileage and expense logs; participates in MOR. Takes action immediately, as needed, to rectify problems
- Responsible to ensure the weekly and monthly corporate key indicators are an accurate measurement of past and current performance for a basis for proactive response to a changing environment
- Ensures legal and ethical practices are always maintained
- Prepares and submits capital expenditure requests, department projections and annual budget.
- Monitors and evaluates the activities of the staff and provides management, coaching, guidance, delegation opportunities, and on-the-job training and re-training as necessary to ensure operational efficiency and adherence to policies and procedures; fosters open communication by offering, encouraging, and accepting suggestions from staff regarding department operations
- Screens, interviews and selects qualified individuals for open positions within the department
- Reviews all department employee job descriptions at least annually and revises, as needed. Provides employees with a new job description if substantive changes are made
- Completes and conducts performance evaluations for all staff under direct supervision after three months of employment and annually, in a timely manner
- Maintains department education files, including new employee orientation checklist, equipment training checklist, mandatory in-service attendance confirmation and continuing education
- Develops and monitors improvement action plans, as needed, to correct poor job performance
- Initiates counseling and discipline according to policies and procedures
- Terminations, status changes, and other personnel actions are completed in a timely fashion
- Reviews and approves payroll time sheets, purchasing requisitions, check requests, and scheduling requests
- Employee injuries are reported within specified time frames and IRL policy/procedure for work related injuries is followed and supported
Qualifications: Minimum Education:
- Directs and organizes the operations of the hospital rapid-response laboratories through the appropriate, delegation of responsibilities and authority and overall direction of the hospital laboratory management team.
- Effectively communicates with IRL System personnel at all levels to coordinate efforts meet special needs and address problems or concerns.
- Works with IRL System management team to maintain regular, two-way communications and integration of core laboratory and hospital personnel. Conducts regular Town Hall Meetings at all IRL System facilities and is accountable for contributing to quarterly newsletters for IRL System personnel.
- Effectively works with all levels of IRL and hospital management and employees to ensure a service delivery system, which sets standards of excellence in terms of quality, response time, and overall user satisfaction.
- Meets regularly with appropriate IRL System counterparts to ensure effective inter-departmental interfaces are established, maintained and enhanced.
- Continually monitors and stays abreast of legislative and regulatory changes affecting the laboratory industry, and ensures changes are accurately communicated to affected departments and implemented on a timely basis.
- Investigates, recommends and purchases equipment, supplies and instrumentation appropriate to current and planned future needs.
• Post Graduate Degree, preferred
• 4 Year/Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology
Licensure/Certification: • State of Florida Supervisor's License
Technical Specialty Areas: Licensure in at least 3 of the following areas, required: • Blood Bank/Immunohematology
Licensure in all of the following areas, preferred: • Blood Bank/Immunohematology
Experience • 3-5 years in a management setting
Environment/Hazards: • Exposure to blood and/or body fluids
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom