Johnson Controls is looking for a full time Engineering Manager to lead the Advanced R&D team at our Cranston RI site.
The R&D Manager is reporting to the Sr. Manager of Innovation and New Ventures, you will be directly responsible for leading a group of talented technical professionals to drive R&D efforts into new and exciting technologies that generate medium to long term growth for our products business.
This is a great opportunity to make a major impact on the future of the Fire Protection industry - protecting lives and property - in a fast paced, fun, and engaging environment. This role requires strong technical and people management skills, awareness of relevant trends in technology, R&D processes, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a desire to take risks!
- Manage and mentor a team of up to 10 individuals comprised of mechanical engineers, fire protection engineers, electrical engineers, software developers and related skill sets to deliver disruptive solutions to creative problems.
- Collaborate with the Innovation & New Ventures management team and other functions and business units to develop innovation strategies and companion technology roadmap to drive disruptive value to the enterprise.
- Stay abreast of and adopt as appropriate new technologies, new innovation processes and generally enable an engaged, entrepreneurial environment.
- Analyze technology, resource needs, market demand, and customer requirements to plan and assess the feasibility of projects, define project scope, select correct design concepts and fundamental technologies to be employed, and develop milestone plans.
- Set scientific and technical goals within broad outlines provided by top management.
- Recruit employees; assign, direct, and evaluate their work; and oversee the development and maintenance of staff competence.
- Manage relationships and contracts with outside organizations to accelerate programs, enable change, and create new value.
- Support minimum viable product releases (sound engineering principles, manufacturability).
- Perform administrative functions such as reviewing and writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules, and making decisions about the purchase of materials or services.
- Identify and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department.
- Assist engineers in improvement of professional capabilities and in career development.
Experience and Qualifications:
•Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Fire Protection or related Engineering discipline with a minimum of 5 years of experience working in a R&D function required.
•Master's Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Fire Protection or related Engineering discipline with 7 to 10 years of experience working in an R&D function, and with 1 to 3 years of direct supervisory experience preferred.
•Past experience in the Fire Protection industry and/or with electro-mechanical systems including IoT is a plus.
•Demonstrated experience or knowledge of mechanical, electrical and software development techniques and processes is a plus.
•Experience working in a matrix business structure and working collaboratively with multiple functions on joint programs