Twenty years from now, the earth's population will need 55% more food than it can produce now. Today, Monsanto is working with farmers around the world to do something about it. In over 60 countries, Monsanto has established industry-leading products because we give professionals the freedom to make real decisions. Monsanto is an Employer Of Choice with an outstanding professional development program and a history of building careers. Make an impact by joining the team that is working to solve one of mankind's greatest challenges.
Monsanto is seeking a highly motivated Agronomic Research Specialist
with the ability to work as part of a Field Testing Team in Stonington, IL. Incumbent will assist in overseeing daily operations associated with a comprehensive corn and soybean breeding and testing program aimed at developing and identifying high yielding hybrids and varieties. The individual will have the opportunity to assist in all phases of a breeding program including seed packaging, planting, pollination, plot maintenance, volunteer monitoring, data collection, and harvest of breeding nursery and yield trials. Additional responsibilities include supervision and training of temporary employees, active participation in station safety and QMS programs, and interacting on a professional level with personnel at other breeding stations. Responsibilities include:
Required Education and Skills/Experience:
- Assist in the coordination of day-to-day yield testing activities, including seed packaging, planting, note taking, plot maintenance, and harvesting
- Utilization of research equipment such as planters, combines and hand-held devices.
- Provide support for precision agronomic strategies including GPS, GIS, soil sampling, and new equipment technology and its application into a breeding/testing program
- Assist in computer-related activities
- Provide support for day-to-day nursery activities such as pollinating, operation of threshing systems, seed counters and seed packaging
- Ship nursery and seed testing materials
- Perform safety inspections, and assist in providing safety training and guidance to field personnel.
- Supervise and train temporary employees
- Participate with the team to successfully maintain the Quality Management Standards
- Assist in other projects and perform other duties as and when required
- Overnight travel during planting and harvest season is possible. Occasional 2-3 day periods of travel for training and other meetings are likely during the year
Desired Education and Skills/Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Agronomy, Agriculture, or a related degree field or equivalent Monsanto knowledge and work experience
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in industry or academic research
- Ability to work extended hours during the peak planting, pollinating and harvest seasons
- Knowledge of farm equipment operation and maintenance
- Experience utilizing MS Office Suite
- Ability to work effectively with interdisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated ability to balance and prioritize tasks
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral
- Ability to lift 60 lbs
- Familiarity with breeding methodologies
- Broad knowledge of crop production and farming practices
- Class A CDL or ability to obtain a Class A CDL
- Pesticide applicator license (or ability to obtain)
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.