Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Operations is one of the largest divisions in the firm and has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, the Operations department continually seeks ways to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
The Investment Management Operations group supports the equity, fixed income, liquidity and alternative businesses for Morgan Stanley Investment Management (MSIM), providing middle-office services including portfolio manager support, client services, portfolio transitions, market registration, product data and performance and attribution analysis. MSIM Operations also provides mutual fund support, derivative processing, and counterparty and credit event management.
This position will work specifically with the Alternative Investment Partners (AIP) Team. The AIP Team is a group responsible for the investment management and support of Morgan Stanley's alternative investments fund of funds strategy. The Team currently manages 200 investment vehicles that utilize a variety of alternative investment strategies and vehicle structures. Total net assets under management exceed $29 billion. The individual in this position will be primarily responsible for assisting with review of annual audited and interim unaudited financial statements as well as assisting with the coordination of the annual audit and periodic regulatory filing processes for over 115 master and feeder investment vehicles.
Responsibilities in this position will include the need to obtain detailed knowledge of the AIP portfolios, including investments in hedge funds, private equity funds, real estate funds, co-investments, secondaries and other alternatives investments. This position will involve developing and maintaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including administrators and auditors, as well as maintaining current knowledge of accounting and auditing pronouncements and regulatory requirements. This position will be located in the West Conshohocken, PA office.
- Reviewing and ensuring the accuracy of annual audited and interim unaudited financial statements prepared by the administrators, as well as assisting with the annual audits of most AIP products during the typical audit period of January through June. This includes managing audit deadlines, coordinating responses to external auditor requests for information, and collecting/addressing financial statement review comments from auditors and internal parties.
- Assisting with periodic regulatory filings (225 per year) for AIP products, including filings with the SEC, NFA, CIMA, Federal Reserve Bank and European regulators.
- Maintaining current knowledge of U.S. accounting and auditing pronouncements and regulatory requirements; working with internal parties and external auditors to determine the impact of such pronouncements to the financial statements and accounting records; ensuring that required disclosures are applied appropriately and consistently across the financial statements of the AIP products; maintaining a current understanding of accounting policies for non-U.S. AIP products.
- Working effectively with third party service providers and internal parties to ensure a high level of service for the AIP products; raising service issues in an appropriate manner and following up issues to resolution; creating or enhancing processes to improve the efficiency of the AIP Team.
- Coordinating the tracking and receipt of audit confirmation responses and audited financial statements from underlying managers. Assisting with responding to audit confirmation requests or ad hoc requests from investors, underlying managers, the AIP Team and other Morgan Stanley teams. Assisting with requests related to AIPs separately managed account clients.
- Assisting with requests related to other AIP audits, including regulatory audits, Sarbanes-Oxley testing, the annual SSAE 16 report on internal controls, and annual internal audits.
- Reviewing and approving fund expense budgets. Reviewing and approving fund service provider invoices for payment, including performance of call back verification procedures, as needed.
- Coordinating and attending fund of hedge fund and private equity/real estate fund of fund valuation committee meetings and drafting meeting minutes; assisting with preparation of materials for periodic board of director meetings.
- Assisting with review of offering documents for new AIP products and supporting other areas of product development, as needed.
- Performing other related functions or responsibilities as needed or assigned.
- Bachelors degree, or equivalent, in Accounting, Finance, or related business field.
- A minimum of three years of investment auditing or accounting experience.
- Prior experience in fund of funds, hedge funds or private equity funds. Experience in preparing or reviewing financial statements is preferred.
- CPA designation and/or Big 4 Accounting firm experience is a plus.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills and the ability to effectively summarize findings, both verbally and in writing, in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong relationship management skills.
- Detail-oriented and highly motivated.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
A little about us:
Since its founding in 1935, Morgan Stanley and its people have helped redefine the meaning of financial services.