22 Fourth Street (61036), United States of America, San Francisco, California
API Product Manager - Prototyping
Capital One is seeking a Product Manager to lead the API vision and roadmap for select, forward looking APIs supporting the DevExchange Platform. You will help empower internal and external stakeholders to build world-class experiences on top of Capital One APIs and guide our businesses to understand and fully leverage APIs as part of a platform business.
The right candidate will be able to integrate solid product and business understanding with deep knowledge of APIs, and building great developer experiences. We need a strong API Product Manager with experience leading software teams and influencing business and technical leaders.
- Work on a team with product engineers to prototype and build modern public APIs based on feedback from external and internal stakeholders
- Manage the product and feature backlog for external APIs being tested by your team
- Engage with external developers, product managers and consumers to identify and prioritize desirable external APIs and products that can be tested for use on DevExchange
- Understand the long term vision and key drivers of select businesses at Capital One and map that vision to a foundational set of API capabilities
- Analyze, define, and communicate API product roadmaps that align with business objectives
- Lead API design reviews to ensure interface alignment with business intent and usability standards
- Work with API designers and cross-functional teams to translate business needs into API interface & functional requirements
- Evangelize new API-driven business and operational models that align with the business vision
- Work directly with internal and external API consumers on both the business and technical side to understand needs, gaps and opportunities
- Identify and evangelize additional opportunities to build great APIs throughout the enterprise
- Contribute to and drive Capital One additional enterprise API initiatives
- Remain continuously informed of emerging API trends and engaged in the external API community
Here’s what you’ll need to be successful:
- You have a passion for APIs and elegant design
- You understand software architecture and agile development patterns
- You can communicate business requirements to technical teams and vice versa.
- You can create an API prototype to demonstrate its value and power to customers.
- You can work independently with unwavering professionalism.
- You can positively represent our brand.
- You feel at ease in complex environments.
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 3 years of Product Management or Software Development experience
- At least 3 years of experience working with development teams in a fast-paced environment
- Great translator; able to speak the language of technology and of business teams
- Experience building, consuming, documenting or supporting web APIs (ideally all of the above!)
- Professional API Product Management experience
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- 5+years in Product Management
- 4+years of team management experience
- 4+years of experience managing client or vendor relationships
- Excellent presentation skills, comfortable presenting to senior leadership
- Strong attention to detail, combined with ability to see and explain the big picture
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, change, and shifting priorities
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.