New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life’s surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
API / Microservices Support Specialist for Enterprise Integration Services is accountable and responsible for ensuring the on-going performance of the API Management platform and all productionalized APIs and Microservices. The role works closely with the technical teams, QA and product owner to trouble-shoot and resolve identified incidents and problems
This position will help advance the directives of the organization around simplification, and modernization of our technology stacks by providing technical support leadership in the implementation of our enterprise integration fabric and data strategy.
- Ensure day-to-day reliability of solutions in production
- Perform small solution enhancements and conduct problem management in coordination with vendor partner(s); on-shore and off-shore
- Identify and implement operational improvements
- Manage releases; works with operations and production release teams (QA, release management) to ensure software deployability and readiness
- Responsible for developing and implementing monitoring scripts and instrumentation to provide consistent and reliable metrics; monitoring and measuring of services up-time, performance, transactional counts per time period
- Participates in code and design reviews and works with developers to maintain code quality standards
- Provides feedback to technical teams to improve overall operational performance
- Coordinates and participates in BCP/DR exercises ensuring successful failover and operation; primary point of contact for assigned solutions
- Closely monitors industry trends and developments and passes on knowledge when relevant
- Contributes to advancing the maturity and optimization of our devops and delivery practices
- Advises management on technical issues and recommended remediation
- Contributes to our transformation goals to deliver a future state architecture that transforms our current technology landscape from monolithic to service oriented decoupling presentation layers and business logic from systems of record
- Collaborates with Cloud services team to influence services for the cloud supporting a continuous develop and continuous integration methodology
- Supports application teams in utilizing the integration layer effectively to facilitate speed to delivery of business capabilities
- Develops, improves, validates and uses tools to improve both the effectiveness and efficiency of technical efforts, within both the area of expertise and scope of influence.
- 1-3 years working with API platform operations
- Demonstrated ability to resolve reported issues related to API operability
- Experience with XML
- Experience in RESTful APIs
- Experience with task automation scripts using Perl, Python, Unix Shell
- Experience with developing runbooks
- Knowledge of integrating with data streaming technologies
- Knowledge of secure coding practices
- Experience writing unit integration tests
- Experience with Version Control systems such as Git or Subversion
- Understanding of DevOps practices and principles
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills
- Ability to analyze and monitor API analytics and reporting
- Must be curious, quick learner, team player, takes initiative and accountability, follows through on tasks
- Ability to work effectively across delivery methodologies such as Scaled Agile, Iterative, and Waterfall
- Ability to assist in system and acceptance testing, load testing, troubleshooting, and performance tuning to ensure high quality of all deliverables
- Ability and aptitude to learn business process modeling & reengineering.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment, proactively contributing to solutions that support the goals and desired outcomes that provide business value
- Ability to work in a complex environment
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Ability to listen and take feedback from team and stakeholders
- Ability to document the work such as runbooks
- Provides estimates and work breakdown structures for assigned tasks
Education - Degrees/Certificates
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering, computer science, or related discipline.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
*Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, June 17, 2016. See http://fortune.com/fortune500/ for methodology.
**Total surplus, which includes the Asset Valuation Reserve, is one of the key indicators of the company’s long-term financial strength and stability and is presented on a consolidated basis of the company.
1. Operating earnings is the key measure use by management to track Company’s profitability from ongoing operations and underlying profitability of the business. This indicator is based on generally accepted accounting principles in the US (GAAP), with certain adjustments Company believes to be appropriate as a measurement approach (non GAAP), primarily the removal of gains or losses on investments and related adjustments.
2. Assets under management represent Consolidated Domestic and International insurance Company Statutory assets (cash and invested assets and separate account assets) and third party assets principally managed by New York Life Investment management Holdings LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of New York Life Insurance Company.