At its founding in 1968, Nashville-based HCA was one of the nation's first hospital companies. Today, one of the nation's leading providers of healthcare services, HCA is comprised of locally-managed facilities that include more than 250 hospitals and freestanding surgery centers in 20 states and the United Kingdom, employing approximately 230,000 people. Approximately four to five percent of all inpatient care delivered in the country today is provided by HCA facilities resulting in more than 26M patient encounters each year. HCA is committed to the care and improvement of human life and strives to deliver high quality, cost effective healthcare in the communities we serve. Building on the foundation provided by our Mission & Values, HCA puts patients first and works to constantly improve the care we provide by implementing measures that support our caregivers, help ensure patient safety and provide the highest possible quality.
• Ranked 63 in Fortune 500
• Computerworld Top 50 Best Places to Work in IT since 2009
• Named one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" since 2010
• 106 HCA hospitals are on The Joint Commission's list of top performers on key quality measures
Summary of Duties: The Application Developer develops database and other applications to support the needs of the division and affiliated facilities. The position is responsible for ascertaining business requirements from business users and incorporating those requirements into applications that meet the defined needs. The position is also responsible for assisting the Director of Application Services with other duties as assigned including maintenance and support of ongoing applications.
Duties Include But Are Not Limited To:
• Assists in developing, supporting, and maintaining database and other applications.
• Documents technical requirements by working with the Lead Application Developer or business users.
• Completes application development tasks assigned according to project plan (if applicable) and communicates obstacles and status.
• Assists in developing prototypes/models and determining data sources (if applicable).
• Follows industry technical and development standards when developing database and web components.
• Executes application testing plans. Documents and resolves resulting defects.
• Coordinates system and user acceptance testing (as appropriate).
• Creates and maintains application documentation.
• Assists in analyzing and executing change requests and enhancements.
• Resolves application issues as needed.
• Develops or follows appropriate change management controls to mitigate operational and financial risks.
• Actively participates in application design sessions.
• Provides technical guidance to business users.
• Devises technical solutions to promote business activities.
• Creates programming project plan, estimate tasks and hours to complete.
• Performs routine application monitoring and maintenance as assigned.
• Trains service desk staff to support developed applications and provides second level support for those applications.
• Participates as needed in the enterprise development community.
• Assists with other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Organization - Follows industry development standards and change control processes. Actively builds technical knowledge by taking advantage of internal team mentoring and attending professional development opportunities.
• Communication - communicates clearly and concisely (oral and written) at the appropriate level for the business users.
• Customer orientation - establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations.
• Tactical execution - demonstrates personal ownership of tasks and follows through to get the required results in the established timeframe.
• Familiarity with report writing concepts, objects, and functions.
• Bachelor's Degree Information Systems or related degree preferred. Equivalent work experience may substitute degree requirement.
• Minimum 2 years Information Technology experience including database and other application design. Prior DBA experience beneficial.
• Experience with HCA systems preferred.
Certification/Licensure: Not Required
Physical Demands/Working Conditions: Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate reports. Staff must remain flexible and available to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom