This opening is in our Kawneer business which is in Springdale, AR. We are the leading manufacturer of architectural aluminum products and systems for the commercial construction industry. Kawneer is part of Arconic's global Building and Construction Systems (BCS) business unit, which manufactures and markets architectural systems and products in North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
The Application Engineer II
will work from architectural plans and specifications to apply the appropriate Kawneer products to the project, as applicable, with respect to air, water, thermal, sound and structural performance design criteria given, including hurricane impact, as required, as well as meet all Federal/State/Local building codes. Job Responsibilities and Duties:
Major Activities and Key Challenges Include:
- Supporting Customers, Sales and the Front end with engineering and design needs and flex to project manager as required;
- Perform structural analysis using commercial software like STAAD, C-Beam, and other in-house tools;
- Reviewing and approving customer shop drawings;
- Designing project specific extrusion profiles to meet design criteria;
- Locate all elevations of architectural aluminum framing and aluminum entrances from architectural plans and specifications, including how and where they anchor back to the building structure;
- Utilizing project structural drawings, when applicable, determine design criteria for the external cladding of the project;
- Confirm points of anchorage for framing systems and entrances to steel structural elements;
- Develop wind loads to be applied to framing systems and entrances from design criteria typically given in structural drawings and project specifications;
- Design any non-standard system anchorage components required or confirm standard system anchorage performs to the project design criteria;
- Provide conceptual custom or modified standard product designs/details to meet design criteria on projects in for bid, when required;
- Work based on a schedule with deadlines with multiple projects at any given time;
- Convey to the Project Estimator all product application information specific to the project being evaluated both with mark-ups on the architectural drawings, and in written form, that can be published directly on the material proposal to the customers;
- Work with customers, sales and architects/contractors to provide design solutions using existing and custom products;
- Coordinate, when required, blast application needs with blast engineering consulting firms.
- Coordinate product application needs with outside vendors and customers;
- AutoCAD skills for die modification and die design;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Ability to function in an environment with tight deadlines;
- Basic Mechanics of Materials;
- Basic Statics including simple beam analysis and shear moment analysis;
- Mathematical skills required to conduct structural analysis;
- Order pursuit/sales skills.
- Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, Engineering or Engineering Technology from an accredited institution;
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in the construction industry;
- Experience working with 3D modeling software (i.e. AutoCad, Solidworks, Inventor);
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution;
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in the architectural aluminum industry;
- Experience working on commercial construction projects;
- Possess a Professional Engineer (PE) License;
- Possess Kawneer product line knowledge;
- AutoCAD skills for die modification and die design and basic detail;
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in the Fenestration Industry.
A little about us:
Arconic Inc. (NYSE: ARNC) creates breakthrough products that shape industries. Working in close partnership with our customers, we solve complex engineering challenges to transform the way we fly, drive, build and power. Through the ingenuity of our people and cutting-edge advanced manufacturing, we deliver these products at a quality and efficiency that ensures customer success and shareholder value.