About the Job
Are you an experienced software engineer looking to make an impact on a dynamic team? Opower, now a part of the Utilities Global Business Unit of Oracle, is looking for an engineer to join our team in Arlington, Virginia who wants to continue to expand their core skill set through exposure to a broad set of current technologies. At Oracle, our Software Engineers are the foundation of our top-notch Engineering organization.
What do we do? We're applying cutting edge computer science to one of humanity's greatest challenges: Energy. Our utility customers around the world give us energy usage data for tens of millions of their customers which we then analyze and aggregate using the latest software technologies to motivate consumers to use less energy. We use the right tools for each element of our broad solution set so our engineers get exposure to everything from Java Spring to Ruby on Rails, from Hadoop to MySQL to ElasticSearch, from massive batch processes to rich web apps. Responsibilities
Our senior engineers lead by example and are experts in the code they write. Your responsibilities will include reviewing design documents, doing code reviews and teaching other junior engineers about best practices. You should understand large scale applications with multi-threaded architectures.
You should be efficient in writing Java code and be very comfortable with database designs. You like to do whiteboard design questions and excited about solving complicated problems. About You
- You should be efficient in writing Java code (at least 5 years of experience) and comfortable with relational database designs.
- You can lead design sessions for complex problems
- You should understand micro-services and how to compose them into applications.
- You are comfortable doing whiteboard interviews with other candidates
- You are experienced with scrum, issue tracking, source code management, and continuous integration.
- You have strong computer science fundamentals. Our large data sets and low latency solutions require deep background in computer science. BS or MS in computer science is preferred, but if you've acquired the chops in some other way then come show us.
- You are constantly thinking about ways to improve the technology in the organization.
- Experience with Spring Batch, Ruby on Rails, Hadoop, and MySQL is a bonus, but not required.
Keywords: Java, SOA, Spring (Ioc, AoP), Hbase/Hive, RabbitMQ, MySQL, Linux, Shell, AgileQualifications:
Analyze, design develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for commercial or end user applications. Writes code, completes programming and performs testing and debugging of applications.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will perform high-level design based on provided external specifications. Specify, design and implement minor changes to existing software architecture. Build highly complex enhancements and resolve complex bugs. Build and execute unit tests and unit plans. Review integration and regression test plans created by QA. Communicate with QA and porting engineering as necessary to discuss minor changes to product functionality and to ensure quality and consistency across specific products.
Duties and tasks are varied and complex needing independent judgment. Fully competent in own area of expertise. May have project lead role and or supervise lower level personnel. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 4 years of software engineering or related experience.Oracle will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.