Applications Developer 3 - Data Services
Posted: December 07, 2016
Reference ID: 16001C3X
• You've got stories. Many years of experience as a software engineer have taught you valuable lessons that you will bring and share.
• You are an expert. All our Senior Engineers, including the managers, are experts in multiple technologies. You have a solid knowledge of the whole stack: from the APIs to the underlying services, databases, caching, HTTP protocol, TCP/IP, Linux, etc.
• You want to own it. You embrace the challenges inherent in being fully responsible for an important part of our business, from supporting your applications in production to continuously monitoring and evolving it, based on performance metrics.
• You live the process. Successfully delivering software in teams is a challenge, and requires bringing order to chaos: scrum, issue tracking, source code management, continuous integration are all familiar to you.
• You're agile (and not just in the buzzword sense). You know how to succeed in a fast paced, ever-changing environment, and you enjoy doing so. In fact, you wouldn't have it any other way.
• You are a natural born detective, delving deeply without hesitation into tangled webs of dependencies to diagnose the most elusive heisenbugs, and having fun all the while, because solving complex problems is just part of what makes you tick.
• You have strong computer science fundamentals. Our large data sets and low latency solutions require deep background in CS. BS or MS in computer science is preferred, but if you've acquired the chops in some other way then come show us.
• Experience architecting and delivering scalable, distributed services.
• Expert in Java and creating large Java projects with a team in an agile environment.
• Excellent CS fundamentals.
• Experience with one or more testing frameworks.
• Experience or interest in learning Git.
• Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
• Knowledge of or experience with MySQL, Hbase, Hadoop, HDFS, Hive, Avro are all helpful.
Impress Us - Show us your work on GitHub.
About Opower / Oracle's Utilities Global Business Unit (UGBU)
Opower recently became a part of Oracle's Utilities Global Business Unit (UGBU), a SaaS provider for the Utility industry, and uses behavioral science to improve consumer engagement and increase energy efficiency. Utilities from around the world provide energy usage data from tens of millions of customers to Oracle UGBU which we then analyze and aggregate into key insights using the latest software technologies. The Data Platform group owns these critical data sets and the processes by which the data are acquired, and maintains the supporting clusters. We build the highly available services that serve those data with low-latency.
Keywords: Java, SOA, Ruby, Spring, MySQL, Hadoop, Linux, Shell, Agile
Analyze, design develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for commercial or end user applications. Writes code, completes programming and performs testing and debugging of applications.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will perform high-level design based on provided external specifications. Specify, design and implement minor changes to existing software architecture. Build highly complex enhancements and resolve complex bugs. Build and execute unit tests and unit plans. Review integration and regression test plans created by QA. Communicate with QA and porting engineering as necessary to discuss minor changes to product functionality and to ensure quality and consistency across specific products.
Duties and tasks are varied and complex needing independent judgment. Fully competent in own area of expertise. May have project lead role and or supervise lower level personnel. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 4 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.