What you’ll be doing...
You will be responsible for providing architecture thought leadership. You will play a defining role in our technical architecture while performing a range of critical activities, such as architecting solutions and supporting a development teams. You will work at the intersection of business and technology, an experienced technologist with technical depth and breadth, along with strong interpersonal skills. You will build architectures and provide prescriptive guidance not only on the application, but also across network, storage, operating systems, virtualization, RDBMS & NoSQL databases, full text search, Hadoop, and mid-tier technologies that include application integration, in-memory caches, and security. This role reports into the Head of Architecture.
- Provide hands-on subject matter expertise to build and implement data solutions.
- Research, evaluate, architect and deploy new tools, frameworks, and patterns to build sustainable platforms for our clients.
- Design and implement complex highly scalable statistical models and solutions to comply with security requirements.
- Work with the latest new technologies.
- Evaluate tools, frameworks, platforms and processes to determine the best fit for new projects and recommend where it makes sense to refactor existing projects and platforms to standardize tooling and processes.
- Actively collaborate with other architects and engineers in developing solutions.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Computer Science or related field or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Architecture experience.
- Software development/integration experience using Java/Scala technologies.
Even better if you have:
- 8+ years of architecture experience and proven track record for developing consistently innovative solutions.
- 5+ years of hands-on large scale software development/integration experience using Java/Scala technologies.
- Extensive experience with AWS, with deep hands on skills.
- Proven ability to make decisions in technology selection and implementation approach based on long-term strategic objectives, while taking into consideration short-term implications for ongoing or planned implementations.
- Demonstrated ability to apply technology in solving business problems and to communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Good understanding of relational databases and solid SQL skills.
- Good understanding of Operating Systems (Unix/Linux), Networks, and System Administration experience.
- Communicate effectively with senior stakeholders, internal resources and external providers.
- High level of analytical, planning and organizational ability.
- Ability to effectively communicate with others implementing architecture in a team environment, and relay necessary information as appropriate.
- Knowledge of hybrid cloud solutions (VMWare and Amazon Cloud) with hands-on experience in direct API integration.
- Intellectually curious, reliable and flexible team player.
- Experience in geospatial systems, tools and techniques.
- Experience working with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, MapReduce, Pig, Hive, Flume and Kafka.
- Experience with NoSql databases such as Cassandra.
- Experience with search systems (Lucene, Solr, ElasticSearch).
- Exposure to high availability configurations, Hadoop cluster connectivity and tuning, and Hadoop security configurations.
- High energy with a positive attitude.
- Eager and willingness to learn, open to trying new technologies or creative solutions.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Enjoys contributing in a collaborative environment.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
A little about us:
Verizon is one of the largest communication technology companies in the world.