Altice USA is one of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States. We are a subsidiary of Altice NV, a convergent global leader in telecom, content, media, entertainment and advertising founded in 2001 by entrepreneur Patrick Drahi. We are driven by a philosophy to always challenge ourselves. We question everything so that we can find the best way forward for our customers. And in a world where continuous innovation is the only way forward, we are redefining the vision we have for our customers, enterprises, advertisers - and our people. Responsibilities
The Government Affairs Area Director is responsible for overseeing state and local government, regulatory and public affairs for Altice USA in Suddenlink territories. In coordination with Corporate Government Affairs, this position must develop and execute political, legislative and regulatory strategies and initiatives that support and enhance the company's business objectives, including strategic public affairs initiatives. This position is also responsible for managing state-level departmental budget and business guidelines. Government Affairs
: Develops and maintains relationships with the Governor's offices, the Attorney Generals, the state utility commissions, and other state agencies, the state legislatures (including leadership and key committee chairs) and legislative staff members, the relevant congressional delegations and their staff and municipal officials in its service area. The Area Director also manages the implementation of the state political action committee activities and attends political functions. Legislative & Regulatory Affairs
: Manages all state-level legislative advocacy, and regulatory advocacy and compliance. This includes strategic planning and direct day-to-day engagement in all aspects of legislative and regulatory proceedings and the coordination both direct and indirect (through industry allies and business associations) company involvement to minimize operational impact and costs. To the extent possible, these efforts seek to achieve a better governmental environment for the company's products and services. Business Initiatives:
Responsible for developing and executing government strategies to garner support for business initiatives ranging from programming disputes to efficient deployment of the fiber to the home network. Franchising:
Responsible for all local franchising and franchise management, including securing renewals to agreements on favorable terms. Also supports expansion in communities outside company's franchise areas through the negotiation and management of telecommunications right-of-way agreements as needed. Public Affairs
: Responsible for developing strategic targets for execution of public affairs initiatives to advance the company's community image and relationships with public officials. Operational Activities of this Position
Manage interaction with state and local government officials and agencies. Monitor all state and local matters that may impact the company; identify issues that warrant company involvement; and assist in developing and executing positions and strategies to achieve successful results. Maintain and enhance relationships with key federal, state and local public officials, including congressional members and staff, state legislative leaders and relevant committee members, legislative staff and local chief elected officials. Oversee external consultants handling regulatory and legislative matters. Manage regulatory issues at the state utility commissions and ensure timely compliance. Develop and oversee implementation of public affairs initiatives for strategic political purposes. Recommend and execute a strategy for targeted charitable contributions. In conjunction with Media Relations, assist with response to media on behalf of company. Qualifications
- Management Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Team building skills, including ability to work effectively with colleagues that are not in direct reporting relationship.
- Leadership skills, including ability to advance company interests in venues that require consensus building.
- Flexibility and creativity in problem solving, particularly in negotiations with government officials and agencies.
- Technical/Functional Competencies
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with federal, state and local government officials.
- Ability to analyze and understand business impact of proposed legislation and regulations at federal, state and local level.
- Strong working knowledge of state regulatory, legislative and municipal processes.
- Ability to plan and execute public affairs activities including events involving public officials.
- Key Experiences/Achievements
- Ten years of experience in the telecommunications industry, government sector or other relevant areas.
- College degree or equivalent experience is required, graduate level degree is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of telecommunications business, laws and regulation.
- Excellent relationship skills.
Altice USA is one of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States.