Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community, and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Area Director Finance is responsible for directing and overseeing the accounting functions and supporting financial functions performed throughout the Area. This includes the integrity and reliability of financial reporting, timely and accurate transaction processing, analytical support for marketing and strategic business functions, and statutory financial compliance. This role seeks to support operations management efforts to optimize the financial performance of operations throughout the Area.
**Knowledge, Skills & Abilities**
• The ability to professionally interact and influence the region, area and business unit leadership team as well as staff and customers to effectively accomplish goals in compliance with company policies and procedures.
• Must be able to demonstrate initiative to thoughtfully research and follow up on non-standard situations to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
• Must be able to effectively coach, mentor and train seasoned managers to meet performance expectations as described above.
• Must be able to work through others to accomplish goals and objectives.
• The ability to establish processes and procedures to ensure effective department workflow.
• The ability to track, measure and manage performance.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks and meet deadlines.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to work in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently within a team environment.
• Ability to complete projects and assignments with minimal direction from leadership.
• An understanding of business unit operational functions and related needs and requirements and the ability identify issues, weigh options and provide effective counsel to support sound business decisions.
• Thorough knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Sarbanes-Oxley 404, and compliance requirements of other financial statutes.
• Knowledge of State and local statutory requirements that govern financial reporting and accounting.
• Experience with Lawson accounting software.
• Advanced skill level with Excel
• Certified Public Accounting (CPA) License. • Master’s Degree in Business Administration.
• Oversees, manages and mentors seasoned accounting managers including hiring, on-boarding, developing, coaching and managing performance.
• Provides direction to leadership of the different accounting functional areas in each business unit (billing, collections, accounts payable, general ledger, and payroll) to ensure that activities are carried-out in a timely and effective manner.
• Oversees internal control processes across all business units within an area to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures, including Sarbanes Oxley and all other statutory requirements.
• Reviews reports to ensure that all internal and external reporting deadlines are met. Takes action to redirect area activities when performance does not meet targets.
• Reviews financial statements and supporting documentation, including balance sheet account reconciliations, to ensure compliance with the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and company policies and procedures.
• Provides decisional support and recommendations to the Area President as it relates to all facets financial reporting and business analysis.
• Ensures that Division Controllers provide appropriate and accurate accounting support to the general manager and all departments within the business unit. This includes but is not limited to analytical support for pricing and profitability analysis, commercial and municipal bids, and any market development projects.
• Coordinates the completion of budgets and forecasts and reviews for accuracy and completeness prior to submission to the region and corporate.
• Directs and oversees the accounting for and tracking of capital expenditures, transfers and retirements.
• Manages and provides necessary support to financial audits including internal audits, external audits and peer reviews.
• Directs, reviews, and coordinates the monthly reporting of financial and statistical reports and information for the area. Ensures all periodic and on demand reports are completed and submitted accurately and timely.
• Supports and controls the financial aspects of the municipal, acquisition and landfill development models for the area.
• Ensures trained individuals are assigned responsibility for completion and submission of all financial filings and returns required by contractual agreements and government entities (e.g., tax filings, franchise, host and royalty fees).
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or a closely related field. • Minimum of 8 years of related professional level accounting or financial experience. • Minimum of 2 years managerial, supervisory or lead experience.
**Rewarding Compensation and Benefits**
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
A little about us:
The dramatic growth and high performance of Republic Services is an American success story we’re proud of.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Network.