W.W. Grainger, Inc. is a business-to-business distributor of products used to maintain, repair and operate facilities. Approximately 3 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including healthcare, manufacturing, government and hospitality. They place orders online, with mobile devices, over the phone and at local branches. More than 4,800 key manufacturers supply Grainger with 1.5 million products made available to customers through Grainger's distribution centers and branches. Position Description
This position is responsible for implementing environmental, health, and safety initiatives for distribution facilities, branches, and offices in specified area of responsibility. The incumbent will assist in training and educating all employees to ensure compliance with International, Federal, State, and Local regulations, laws, and policies. In addition, the incumbent will provide consultation and guidance to Distribution Center and Branch managers and/or coordinators on all issues related environmental, health and safety. Job Responsibilities
- Assist with the implementation of EHS initiatives and strategies to reduce risk, including but not limited to the areas of: OSHA, ergonomics, injury / illness reduction, hazard communication, environmental, emergency preparedness, and general employee safety.
- Implement and manage strategic and tactical EH&S functions within area of responsibility.
- Assist with the development, implementation, and management of EH&S business objectives.
- Provide EH&S leadership to all company locations in area of responsibility.
- Assist with development and management of business critical projects and programs with significant financial and or legal impact.
- Manage complex EH&S improvement programs across Distribution Center and Branch units.
- Brief distribution center and branch management on status of EH&S issues.
- Serve on management level EH&S committees and working groups.
- Keep Regional EHS Manager fully aware of all critical business incidents and provide monthly reports on projects and/or incidents
- Bachelor's Degree in a field specific to safety or equivalent related experience is required.
- Minimum 5 years of EHS experience in distribution, or manufacturing organization.
- Must have technical knowledge, skills, and abilities related to safety matters.
- The incumbent must have experience managing and updating safety related databases and softwares as well as Microsoft Office applications.
- Working knowledge of ISO, OHSAS, and other EH&S management systems preferred.
- Incumbent must be able to manage in a fast-paced, flexible environment requiring negotiating skills and agility.
- High level verbal and written communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of customers and employees at all levels of the organization.
- Professional certification preferred (CSP, CIH or equivalent).
- This position will expose the incumbent to extensive walking and/or standing within warehouse environments
- Will require up to 20% travel
- This position works directly with distribution center and branch management in the implementation of critical EHS initiatives within the organization. In addition, this position is the first level of expertise in identifying and applying remedies to risks at Grainger locations.
- Financial impacts vary in size and source but include: OSHA fines of $70,000 per incident, EPA fines of $25,000 per incident per day
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
A little about us:
Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running.