The General Manager/Director of Energy Solutions is part of our
Building Technologies and Solutions business at Johnson Controls. Due to a promotion we are searching for a seasoned energy solutions executive to continue to drive the business of this successful region. This region has been #1 in the market at Johnson Controls for Solutions in North America. The region includes branches in New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. We prefer the position to be based out of Long Island, NY but open to any location within any of these states. There will be 9 direct reports and much time will be spent working with the sales teams. Experience leading successful sales teams is highly preferred, public sector background is a plus, proven track record of success managing multiple locations. Great opportunity to work with a strong region. Come join our success! RESPONSIBILITY LEVEL:
Under general direction, manages the business performance (P&L) of the Energy Solutions area through multiple Market Teams. Leads the area to achieve profitable growth and increase market share within their portfolio. Identifies and qualifies opportunities to address adjacent market whitespace in support of regional growth initiatives. Coaches and develops the market teams and sales management and adjust team resources as needed. Provides the management cadence for selling, developing and constructing projects. Ensures the consistent execution of the standard operating model, tools, and governance. Actively seeks leadership roles within strategic industry associations and community groups. Acts as the local leader in the area communities to ensure an understanding of the business environment and local community including legislative, economic, and market trends. Aligns and fosters collaboration and cooperation with Systems and Service organizations to enable and actualize growth across all local BE business units. PRINCIPAL DUTIES:
- Manages the area business through the market teams in the sale, development, delivery, and performance assurance of the Energy Solutions offerings to new and existing customers within their local, designated customer base. Analyzes local markets and current business performance to ensure strategies are effective in meeting planned profits and recommends adjustments to the plan when necessary.
- Develops and delivers on long and short-term strategic objectives for profitability and growth in the area. Develops business plans and budgets and operates within the parameters by effectively managing the portfolio of business. Produces the expected return on investment for shareholders.
- Executes the area business plans by effectively managing the portfolio of business. Responsible for communicating and delivering the area forecast. Understands the local business environment of targeted markets concerning growth trends, legislation, and competitors. Drives cash flow through proper payment terms, proactive billing and collections.
- Establishes the area's plan for staffing levels and takes action to achieve that plan. Hires, retains, performance manages, and plans for career development of the market teams. Ensures adherence to Company policies, procedures, and strategic initiatives regarding human resource management.
- Establishes and maintains personal long-term relationships with strategically important customers to influence opportunities and customer satisfaction.
- Drives Market teams through the sales management to secure new business with acceptable, profitable margin in the sale and delivery of projects.
- Examines financial and non-financial metrics for sales, engineering and operations performance regarding contribution margin, pipeline, project margin, utilization, profitability, slippage and cost and then coaches Market Teams to make adjustments as necessary to ensure profitable growth of the business.
- Conducts regular business reviews with market teams to examine business performance and determine root cause analysis of issues. Facilitates discussions to identify and implement corrective solutions.
- Evaluates the Area's customer satisfaction performance and leads initiatives that drive improvement and proactive resolution of customer issues. Works with Market Team to determine resources needed to ensure customer expectations are met.
- Drives the area account management strategy consistent with Energy Solutions strategic direction. Works to grow the vertical market sales.
- Develops and manages strategically important third party relationships that further business development activity. Build alliances that support our business proposition and customer business success. Work closely with the market teams to monitor and analyze market trends and competitive issues within the energy businesses.
- Increases market penetration of JCI offerings (Lighting, Demand Response, Solar, Systems Services, etc) offerings by expanding the scope of work with the existing projects and securing new projects.
- Drives collaboration and cooperation with Systems and Service organizations to enable and actualize growth across all local BE business units.
- Ensures compliance with Federal, State, and local legal requirements and operates the Area with the highest business ethics.
Bachelor's degree in engineering, business or marketing. MBA preferred.
Ten or more year's progressively more responsible management experience. Prefer strong sales background, leading multiple teams, proven track record of growth in business.
Proven Industry experience in the energy field in a leadership role. Ability to take direction and work in a matrix management organizational structure. Demonstrated ability to build and lead a cohesive focused team.
Open to travel up to 50% within the region.
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.