The Area Human Resource Manager is a valued member of the Leadership Team, reporting directly to the Area Vice President of Field Operations, with dotted line to a Regional Human Resources Director who aligns to corporate HR. As a trusted Business Partner, the Area HR Manager will drive results and support business objectives. This field-based position supports a business unit of approximately 800 exempt and non-exempt associates in more than 50 locations across 9 states.
This position requires you to act as a change agent while driving organizational effectiveness through talent acquisition, leadership development, employee engagement, diversity and inclusion, associate and labor relations, and compliance.
The Area HR Manager provides guidance with training, coaching, and development as they work with the onsite leadership team to support each location. The Area HR Manager leads associate relations activities, which include performance management, investigations, and compensation alignment, amongst other related duties as assigned. In this role, you will use analytics, expertise and workforce trends to influence decisions that drive organizational processes & programs.
• Working with a recruiter and Area team, create an Area Staffing plan based on business growth and Workforce Planning and Analytics
• Partnering with the recruiting team, acquire Top Talent through improved selection tools and criteria, and local outreach efforts
• Cultivate internal talent, participating in key role promotional decisions
• Conduct local market analysis to ensure competitive compensation
• Drive talent review and succession planning processes using a consultative approach that ensures a strong talent bench
• Coach leaders to create individual development plans
• Deliver training and coaching to leaders to ensure effective performance management
Diversity, Inclusion, and Engagement:
• Champion the shaping and sustaining of a diverse and inclusive workplace through awareness and education
• Consult with leadership to develop plans to promote an inclusive environment that is engaging, enabling and energizing and one where our associates can thrive.
Associate and Labor Relations:
• Lead investigations, prepare summaries and make recommendations with a sense of urgency, ensuring comprehensive resolutions
• Partner with Labor Relations team to develop a Labor strategy, including positive associate relations training
• Participate in union negotiations. Prepare and contribute key HR data to ensure successful outcomes within the collective bargaining agreement
• Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations (e.g., FMLA, ADA, FCRA, EEO, AAP, and FLSA)
• Communicate, interpret and apply company policies, procedures, and Code of Conduct
• Facilitate training on various HR and compliance topics
• Conduct regular compliance reviews at location level (Wage and Hour, etc.)
• Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree a plus, SHRM or HRCI Certification(s) preferred
• 6 years of progressive Human Resources experience in more than one facet of HR
• Creative, Independent self-starter who excels in a fast paced environment
• Adaptable quick learner, enjoys collaborative projects and continuous education
• Ability to understand the business operations from a strategic and tactical perspective
• Must be a confident communicator, (including written, and verbal skills) and able to effectively influence and present to Leadership
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects with competing priorities, diverse audiences and challenging environments
• Knowledge of employment law and regulatory compliance issues (deeper knowledge required for certain states, such as CA, MA, etc.)
• Must possess a high level of honesty, integrity, and ethics
• Willingness to travel as necessary (approximately 50%), work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The associate must regularly lift and /or move up to 25/lbs12kg, frequently lift and/or move up to 50lbs/ 23kg and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100lbs/45kg.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this Job, the associate is regularly required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear. The associate is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer
A little about us:
Penske Truck Leasing and Penske Logistics proudly recruits and hires veterans nationwide. We’re annually listed on the Victory Media Top 100 Military-Friendly Employer list (they publish G.I. Jobs and Military Spouse magazines). Last year, 13 percent of new hires were veterans. The company is actively hiring truck drivers, truck maintenance and logistics operations personnel. We are a leading global transportation services provider, offering full-service truck leasing, contract maintenance, commercial and consumer truck rentals, used truck sales, transportation and warehousing management and supply chain management solutions.