Production Area Leader
Monsanto is seeking a highly motivated individual to join the Muscatine, Iowa plant as a Production Area Leader. The plant is located south of Muscatine along the Mississippi River and manufactures a wide variety of crop protection products, including Roundup®, the world's best-selling herbicide. We are creative and committed, and believe that these values allow us to best serve our customers and employees. Monsanto - Muscatine has steadily adapted over the last 50+ years to meet the needs of an increasing agricultural chemical market. The demonstrated flexibility and proven capabilities of the site and its workforce make this a key manufacturing location for Monsanto.
The Production Area Lead reports to the Business Unit Lead and is a member of the Site Leadership Team. The Area Lead is responsible for leading a manufacturing unit; ensuring the process operates in a safe, responsible, reliable and efficient manner to meet the needs of the business. They are responsible for understanding the gains derived from implementing world class manufacturing techniques, and achieving results through innovation, staff empowerment, process improvement, coordination of work, and regional collaboration.
- Responsible for production targets and proactively identifying potential issues that prevent the site/area from meeting the objectives
- Drive delivery of area objectives, operational improvements, metrics tracking, and adoption of best practices leveraging team members and peers
- Lead Daily Operations Reviews (DOR) with Shift Leads, conduct Leaders Standard Work practices, and compute progress against metrics by collecting data from line-level visual boards
- Facilitate cross-site communication by interfacing between plant / field leadership and personnel
- Ensure adherence to robust Environmental Safety & Health (ESH) & Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) programs
- Engage in community involvement to cultivate trust and promote a positive image of the plant
- Champion lean maturity progression and deliver on performance improvement targets at the area level
- Optimize people performance and development through mentoring, coaching, training, recognition, and developmental opportunities. Responsible for creating progression plans, appraisals/reviews, discipline, and documentation.
- Bachelor's Degree, Engineering preferred
- One year of leadership and management experience in a manufacturing or agricultural environment
- Three years manufacturing or engineering experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs
- Strong skills in communication, time, task, and project management, priority setting, decision making, resource allocation, budgeting and cost management, and people leadership including coaching, influencing, conflict resolution, team/individual goal setting, and effective performance management.
Specific Work Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Five years manufacturing or engineering experience
- Experience with agriculture and crop manufacturing
- Experience working and leading in a matrix production structures
- Working knowledge of Lean improvement principles such as 5S, Focused Improvement, Visual Management, Gemba Walk and Teamwork to drive continuous improvement and sustainable change
- Experience with leading a production work shift in a manufacturing environment
- Understanding of chemical processes in a chemical manufacturing environment.
Position is in a manufacturing office environment combined with plant process management activities working around chemical manufacturing. This position requires the ability to use a computer and keyboard for extended periods of time and the ability to work a full eight-hour day within the flexible schedule of 6:00am to 5:30 pm. Limited travel and after-hours support of critical needs is expected.
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.