About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
the company colleagues have many perspectives, many backgrounds and many strengths but we share one goal: to make the world a healthier place. Our investment in people is a commitment to strengthen an already remarkable company. the company is a place for people who strive to learn, grow and lead.
Worldwide Research and Development at the company combines research and technology units that have deep disease area expertise with partner lines that deliver cutting-edge science, generating an efficient R&D operating model, to discover and develop innovative therapies through advancing small molecules and biotherapeutics, including vaccines.
• This laboratory scientist will provide high quality in vitro plate-based pharmacology data to project teams to enable rapid decision making in support of the Worldwide Research and Development portfolio.
• This scientist will play a key role in developing, optimizing and validating in vitro biochemical and cell based assays using physiologically relevant assay systems.
• This scientist will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge science using novel technologies.
• This scientist will partner with Research Unit Biologists, Chemistry and external partners , to deliver on the portfolio.
The successful candidate will join a team of scientists within the Primary Pharmacology Group which is focused on the design, development, optimization, and execution of in vitro plate-based screening funnels supporting early Research Unit portfolios. The group also provides the cellular biology expertise to apply physiologically relevant approaches to target-based and phenotypic programs ensuring integrated support from idea to clinical candidate selection. Disease areas of focus include Inflammation, Immunology, Neuroscience, Cardiovascular/Metabolic, and Rare Diseases.
As a member of a laboratory focused on assay development/optimization and execution of in vitro plate-based pharmacological assays, the primary responsibilities of the role will be supporting the portfolios of multiple therapeutic areas as well asparticipating in platform-based initiatives around specific drug target classes (e.g.,G-protein coupled receptors, serine hydrolases, solute-carrier transporters). He/she will work with a supervisor and project teams to design and deliver high quality in vitro screening data to enable hit and lead series identification, optimization, and drug candidate selection. He/she may also provide oversight and take accountability for the delivery of pharmacology data provided by Contract Research Organizations. Additionally, there are excellent opportunities within the department to interrogate and apply new Science & Technology approaches to support the early drug discovery portfolio. Applicants should have experience working independently in a laboratory setting and a broad understanding of biology. He/she will be expected to quickly master a wide range of assay technologies for both biochemical and cell-based approaches. Previous experience in plate-based pharmacology, cell biology, biochemistry and enzymology in a drug discovery setting is desired. Also valuable to the role is familiarity and/or comfort with high-throughput screening techniques and equipment, and ability to learn new software applications quickly (e.g., ABase, Excel, GraphPad Prism, Spotfire). The successful candidate will be excited by a role with high demands, working in teams with multiple partners (e.g. Chemistry, Research Unit Biology, HTS and CROs). The candidate should therefore possess strong collaborative and written/verbal communication skills and an enthusiastic, optimistic attitude. He/she should demonstrate leadership potential, flexibility, an ability to function with a degree of autonomy, a good sense of humor, and be adept at multi-tasking and building partnerships.
Successful candidates will be expected to:
• Have a broad understanding of biology
• Develop, optimize and validate assays as well as execute plate-based in vitro assay and data analysis
• Have experience with multiple assay formats, ideally both biochemical and cell based.
• Display consistent proficiency in automated data acquisition, analysis and quality control; provide timely, high quality data to project teams.
• Proactively respond to project team needs to answer specific questions on their work and present results in individual and group settings
• Use robotics and automation in the performance of screening
• Have experience in assay transfer and data management (e.g., assays from Research Units or working with external vendors)
• Adopt a continuous improvement mindset to improve speed (turnaround time of screening data), quality, efficiency and/or cost of processes within lab.
• Troubleshoot laboratory instruments and assays with support
• Maintain up to date electronic laboratory notebooks and records in accordance with the company policy.
• Comply with all safety training and good laboratory practices.
Additional role attributes:-
• Minimum qualification BS or MS with 2+ years of relevant experience to drug discovery in biology, cell biology, and/or pharmacology
• At least 2 years prior experience in a laboratory, preferably in a drug discovery setting
• Experience working with some protein classes such as receptors, enzymes and transporters
• Demonstrated experience with standard in vitro assays (e.g. HTRF, FP, ELISA, coupled enzyme systems, FLIPR, radioactive binding, etc.), ideally including both execution and troubleshooting.
• Excellent computer, verbal and written communication skills.
At the company, we believe in helping people lead healthier lives - from our customers to our colleagues. We offer a wide array of programs and plans that give our colleagues the flexibility and tools they need to get and stay healthy, both physically and financially. These include competitive compensation, generous medical, vacation and retirement benefits as well as a number of additional programs.
The Primary Pharmacology group offers an exciting, fast-paced, supportive environment for colleagues, and fosters a culture encouraging openness, innovation and ownership of our science. We aim to provide continual scientific and growth opportunities for personal development commensurate with a colleague's goals and experience.
Sitting, standing, lifting, bending, and walking. Ability to perform practical laboratory benchwork and to work on a computer (while standing or sitting). Ability to perform mathematical calculations and interpret data.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
• Travel is not required, however there will be opportunities to travel occasionally to Cambridge, MA to partner with Research Unit project teams and attend appropriate meetings and conferences.
• Compliance with laboratory safety practices.
Other Information - Internal
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.