Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our 117,000 employees create intelligent buildings, efficient energy solutions, integrated infrastructure and next generation transportation systems that work seamlessly together to deliver on the promise of smart cities and communities. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. We are committed to helping our customers win and creating greater value for all of our stakeholders through strategic focus on our buildings and energy growth platforms. For additional information, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com or follow us @johnsoncontrols on Twitter.
STATEMENT OF JOB
Working under the supervision of the Fire Protection Products Supervisor, the Hand Portable Assembler works from blueprints to determine proper assembly, filling and packaging requirements of hand portable extinguisher. Assembles Red Line, PAIU Submarine and other extinguishers by gluing proper nameplate, attaching parts, testing pressure and filling the FE 36 (Clean Guard) shells with proper dry or wet chemical such as FE 36. Pin stamps, cleans, packages and palletizes the finished product by following the proper production order.
ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH, AND SAFETY OBLIGATIONS
Comply with the following Environmental, Health and Safety duties as a condition of employment:
• Comply with safety rules
• Attend and Participate in Safety Training
• Participate actively in the safety process
• Ask questions if something isn't known
• Report all accidents and injuries immediately
• Submit suggestions to improve safety
• Know responsibilities in the event of an emergency (i.e. what to do in the event of an alarm for fire, chemical spills, tornados, etc.)
• Be a coach to others who are acting unsafely
• Must have Lock-out tags after 6 months?
• Attend and participate in all hazardous and non-hazardous waste trainings.
• Ability to recognize chemical hazardous labels.
• Spill management and clean-up.
• Air shutoff locations.
• Capability to follow satellite accumulation rules and requirements.
• Proficiency to recognize hazardous wastes in your area and manage properly
Must be 18 years of age and have a HS Diploma or equivalent. Must be able to retain a large volume of product knowledge and manufacturing variations. Must be able to read the contents of nameplates and production orders, assuring that they are properly processed and filled. Must be able to understand and set dials when operating the filling machines. Must maintain inspection logs. Fill out daily time card including production counts and orders. Must be able to read and write and understand simple math and basic computer operations. Report scrap on scrap tickets discrepancy reports. Knowledge and ability to read and understand the setting gauge readings, use hand tools, air wrenches, riveters and knowing proper start-up and shutdown procedure.
1. Checks to see that all parts are available for assembly from work order specifications. Glues, positions and operates nameplate presses to attach proper nameplates to Red line extinguishers. Inspects inside of shells for fabrication defects. Keeps a record of processed and rejected shells. Performs minor maintenance on the gluing apparatus to assure proper operation. Submits lots for Underwriters Lab.
2. Following correct production orders assembles component parts to extinguishers using air wrenches, riveters and hand tools. Visually checks components for their completeness. Reworks defective machine parts as they occur, spending up to one hour per shift. Uses small grinder to grind shell collars prior to pin stamping.
3. Assembles extinguishers according to established safety procedures to pressurize shells to 240 pounds per psi prior to leak testing. Applies soap solution around nozzle, receiver, gas tube and welds, checking for leaks. Occasionally assembles hoses to nozzles.
4. Operates semi-automatic wet and dry chemical filling machine to fill various size Red Line and Sentry extinguishers, including stored pressure models with various types of the chemical agents and FE 36. Involves setting timers and adjusting filling cycles according to chemical agent variation. Weights the filled extinguishers and assures proper weight according to UL specifications. Does set up on pin stamper for various size shells. Adds coding to computer for identifying model to initiate pin stamping. Programs model variations. On the Red Line extinguishers, performs final assembly operation by using air wrench to tighten the fill cap to proper torque and installs cartridge and guard.
5. Wipes excess dry chemical from Red Line extinguisher; attaches visual seals, adds component parts as required by production order including extra labels. Stamps packages with lot number, part number, and other applicable stamps. Check packages and places extinguishers on a pallet keeping a record of the number and type of extinguishers packaged. Operates overhead hoist for handling large extinguishers. Does final inspection on product prior to releasing for shipment. Occasionally prepares cartons for shipping. Required to occasionally operate forklift.
6. Air tests Redline at 240 PSI.
7. Sets up air wrenches. At the end of each shift or sooner if required, changes dry chemical fill tanks by shutting down the vacuum line and dumping contaminated agent into waste barrels. Performs minor maintenance on equipment such as removing and installing filters, cleaning lines, assembling and disassembling vacuum lines, removing and replacing pinch valves, and performing minor repairs on hand tools. Cleans inside of chemical silos as needed.
8. Touches up any shell with paint.
9. Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.