1. Regularly and customarily performs a variety of manual or physical work.
2. Under close direction of any of the higher classifications uses hand and power tools for installation, operation, & maintenance of electric and gas facilities, and may be assigned to assist any departmental classification.
3. Under close direction of any higher classification assists in the installation, operation, maintenance, and removal of gas or electric meters.
4. Under close direction of any higher classification performs pavement breaking, excavation, backfill, and restoration work.
5. Perform gas leak survey duties in accordance with DOT Regulations.
6. Load and unload materials, make deliveries and pickups, replenish departmental materials and supplies.
7. Read residential and commercial gas and electric meters.
8. Assist with traffic control by performing flagging duties. (certification as needed)
9. Perform housekeeping duties (platform, shop area, parking areas, job site, vehicles, etc).
10. Performs other related or less-skilled work, as required or directed.
11. Operates CMV and other vehicles, applicable data systems, or other Company equipment. (vehicle radio system, RM, Itron, etc).
12. Reads, writes and communicates effectively in the English language.
Experience demonstrating skill using hand tools (for example, hammers, pliers, wrenches, hacksaws, pipe cutters, pipe dies, shovels).
Experience demonstrating skill performing manual labor (for example, hand excavation, loading and unloading trucks).
Experience demonstrating skill reading, writing and communicating with others effectively.
Ability and willingness to perform physically challenging tasks for extended periods of time (for example, shoveling, using digging bars, bending, twisting, kneeling, crawling, pulling/pushing, standing, walking, squatting and lifting up to 90 pounds and heavier weights with assistance from others).
Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of work environments including at heights from a ladder or elevated surface, below ground, in all weather conditions, on unstable work surfaces, in confined spaces or enclosed vessels, in dark areas or areas with limited lighting, and in hot, foul water, muddy, dusty, exposure to natural gas, noxious fumes, noisy, and dirty environments with proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Ability and willingness to wear and use safety equipment (for example, flame retardant clothing, respirator, fall protection harness etc.) as required by Federal, State, Local and Company regulations.
Ability and willingness to adhere to safety regulations and policies, such as U.S. DOT Federal Motor Carrier Regulations, Operator Qualification Regulations and Gas Pipeline Regulations (including physical certification, substance abuse testing, 21 years of age).
Ability and willingness to work on or around hazardous equipment/materials (for example, pressurized gas lines, open flames, heavy equipment, etc.) and/or energized electrical facilities and equipment.
Ability and willingness to travel to various work sites within the company service territory.
Must pass qualification test prior to Company awarding the job.
Ability and willingness to participate in the Mechanic Operator progression and take and pass step progression tests at each of the five steps in the progression (MO1, MO2, MO3, MO4, JMO) from this AMO position to Journey Mechanic Operator.
Ability and willingness to successfully participate in Operator Qualification (OQ) training and testing program on a continuing basis.
Ability and willingness to obtain and maintain a CDL with Hazardous Materials endorsement.
Possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts and/or scheduled hours, including weekends, holidays, overtime/standby on a regular basis, with little or no notice. Must be available for callout overtime.
Must participate in ongoing random DOT Pipeline Drug and Alcohol Tests and ongoing random drug and alcohol testing programs.
Must successfully pass Criminal Records History Check.
Must successfully pass a medical screening to include a drug test.
Experience demonstrating skill working in a construction and/or maintenance environment.
Experience demonstrating skill driving large trucks (for example, dump trucks) and/or construction equipment (for example, backhoes, trenchers, front-end loaders).
Experience demonstrating skill using pneumatic and hydraulic tools for excavating and backfilling (for example, pavement breakers, jackhammers, drills).
Experience demonstrating skill setting up, handling and breaking down construction and/or maintenance materials, tools and equipment.
Experience demonstrating skill assisting operators of heavy equipment (for example, directing excavation, directing traffic).
Experience demonstrating skill dealing with customers (e.g., interacting with customers when performing work on their property).
Possesses a CDL.
Pepco Holdings, an Exelon Company, is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity and does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of characteristics protected by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Never Miss an Update - Follow us on Twitter @PHICareers