Kearny , New Jersey - United States Shift:
Must be able to work any SUMMARY
The purpose of the Assistant Operator is to assist with the operator in the asphalt production process. You will work as a team to produce batches of high quality asphalt products safely at a fast-paced rate. Good mechanical skills, basic computer skills and good team communication skills are required by the job. This job requires excellent self-direction working alone or in small teams with little direct supervision. Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Notify your supervisor immediately of any accident, near miss or on- the -job injury when it occurs no matter how insignificant it may seem
- Take personal ownership to work safely each and every day and hold other team members to the same high standards of safety
- Certify and operate in all of the following areas: Packaging, Truck/Railcar Loading and Unloading, Quality Control Procedures, Preheater Operations, Boiler Incinerator, Converter Operations, and Alternate Fuel. Must pass and have a Boiler Operator License from the State of New Jersey.
- Perform the administrative tracking tasks of data entry, BOL processing, production entry, receiving, and general organization.
- Perform tests on asphalt in the lab for finished product to test for specification, for loss prevention, inbound products against OC specs.
- Generate Certificate of Analysis for outbound shipments
- Participate in Round Robin testing
- Be able to climb up to three floors of stairs, read panel displays, use operations manuals for troubleshooting, use full upper body movement for process, stand up to 12 hours with breaks.
- Become certified to operate a forklift.
- Be able to lift an asphalt container weighing 100 pounds with assistance.
- Test, measure and enter data on quality using our computer system requiring general math skills and the ability to discern variation.
- Attend and participate in meetings and training.
- Use project management documentation (reading and writing skills), participate in projects and equipment repairs and upgrades with maintenance personnel.
- Know and follow all plant environmental control policies and procedures.
- Meet team expectations such as reliability, teamwork, and process improvement. Maintain and improve productivity teamwork, quality and safety.
- Complies with good housekeeping practices on the job.
- Follows all environmental compliance polices & programs.
- Comply with all plant rules
- Comply with safety regulations and maintain a clean and orderly work area
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Regular Attendance on site and ability to rotate to varying shifts
- All other duties as assigned or needed
The employee should hold the following abilities:
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
- Good communication skills
- Accountability and ownership for actions
- Able to think under pressure and make quick decisions
- Ability to work well in a team or alone
- Able to communicate in English
- Ability to read a tape measure and do basic math
The employee must be able to:
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Must be able to operate a computer or other keyboard instrument
- Proficient in SAP PM Module
The employee should have the following:
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- Manufacturing or Asphalt production experience is a plus
- Forklift knowledge useful
The employee should possess the ability to:
About Owens Corning
- Ability to stand for 10 - 12 hours straight
- Able to climb and descend stairs for up to 12 hours continuously
- Lift and push and pull 50lbs. More than 100 times per day
- Able to do repetitive hand, arm, leg movements for 12 hours
- Must be able to squat, bend at the waist and knees freely
- Exposure to temperature extremes
- Exposure to sounds or noise levels that maybe uncomfortable
- Bending and twisting
- Handle, control or feel objects, tools or control
- Repetitive movements
- Able to climb on and off a forklift
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.