This position will be responsible for developing/creating flavor prototypes using internal and external resources. The Assistant Scientist IV will manage flavor creation projects from prototype to commercialization stage. The position will also serve as subject matter expert in the area of beverage flavors.
- Perform chemical analyses using instrumental methods in order to determine the composition of samples; Prepare samples and sampling plan for ingredients, intermediate or finished products, or other materials in order to perform analyses (e.g., chemical, physical, sensory, microbiological).
- Design, develop, conduct and/or review experiments (e.g., laboratory or process experiments) in order to deliver new products; evaluate ingredient, product or packaging safety, efficacy or claims; or evaluate new ingredients, materials, products or processes.
- Prepare beverages and conduct analytical tests and taste or odor tests according to sensory guidelines, including qualifying taste panelists.
- Design, produce and evaluate/assess (e.g., through laboratory testing) a product prototype/sample against technical requirements, fit to concept or performance specifications (e.g., functionality and operational feasibility).
- Record data from analyses or experiments in a computer, log book or laboratory notebook.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and instrumentation (e.g., troubleshooting, conducting preventative maintenance, calibrating and repairing).
- Write detailed & accurate reports for analyses, experiments or projects (e.g., equipment validation, evaluation of new processes). Communicate clearly in email and verbally with technical, non-technical, domestic, and international audiences.
- Gather and organize information under tight timelines to support senior management's decision-making.
Related Work Experience
- Participate in team projects, interdepartmental/divisional committees or company-wide initiatives in order to share information, represent the department/division perspective or assist with product development, process modification, package development and marketing.
- The following is a listing of minimum indicated requirements for this job.
Education: BS Degree in chemical/physical science, engineering or food science discipline
Related Work Experience: 2 years Leadership Behaviors:
- DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business
- COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to appropriately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler)
- ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our brands, our System, our customers and key stakeholders
- INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible
- DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential
- Basic Product Development: Knowledge of the product development process with a preference for prior beverage experience and beverage manufacturing knowledge and experience. Flexible and creative attitude with a strong attention to detail.
- Basic Flavor Chemistry: Basic knowledge of the organic chemistry of essential oils and other flavor compounds that is relevant to Company products.
- Basic Flavor Manufacturing: Basic knowledge of and ability to apply flavor manufacturing and the processes used such as distillation, extraction and blending.
- Ingredients: Knowledge of key ingredients used in production of flavors, concentrates and beverage bases (e.g.,emulsions, flavors, caramel, citric acid, benzoate, juice, phosphoric acid, maltodextrin).
- Moderate Computer Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft suite of programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and capable user; Knowledge of chromatography data systems and capable user.
- Building Technical Relationships: Ability to apply technical knowledge and establish credibility through written reports and oral presentations with highly technical audiences in order to build technical relationships that will benefit customers or the Company.
- Proprietary Composition Information: Ability to recognize and protect proprietary information as it relates to formulas and ingredients.
- Basic Project Management: Knowledge of project management principles and the ability to apply the principles, tools and techniques to develop/plan, manage or execute projects or work plans to ensure successful completion (e.g., on time, within budget.)
Honesty and integrity have always been cornerstone values of The Coca-Cola Company. Our passion for people of integrity mirrors our spirited drive for total quality in our brands. These and other elements allow the company to sustain strategic practices and drive business performance. The Personnel Integrity Assurance Program is another step toward making The Coca-Cola Company the premier workplace. This process includes a pre-employment background investigation that applies to all applicants employees and contractors of the company. The scope of this inquiry may cover such elements as education employment history a criminal history check reference checks and a pre-employment drug screen. Designated countries or sensitive positions within the company may have more stringent standards.
At The Coca-Cola Company you can cultivate your career in a challenging and dynamic environment. We are the largest manufacturer and distributor of nonalcoholic drinks in the world-selling more than 1 billion drinks a day. Unlock your full potential with a future-focused company that is known and respected throughout the world.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Back to top
A little about us:
Coca-Cola’s success would not be possible without the world’s best employees. We invite you to challenge yourself, join us and prosper.