Nuveen is the investment management arm of TIAA. It is one of the largest global asset managers with specialist knowledge across a wide array of asset classes, including fixed income, equities and alternatives. Nuveen is driven not only by the independent investment processes across the firm, but also the insights, risk management, analytics and other tools and resources a truly world-class platform provides. As a global asset manager, our mission is to work in partnership with our clients to create outcome-focused solutions to help them secure their financial future. For more information about the firm please visit our website at www.Nuveen.com
About the Position
The Assistant Vice President, Employee Communications will plan and develop internal communications in support of Nuveen’s lines of business (and corporate functions, with a strong focus on the areas of Compliance and HR (talent management, diversity and inclusion, compensation, benefits). This role will report to the Managing Director, Global Head of Employee Communications.
The successful candidate will be comfortable working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and being a hands-on contributor. He or she will develop communication plans, draft communications on a variety of topics and help the team continuously enhance internal communication channels.
- Provide strategic communications support to business partners across the organization.
- Engage employees company-wide in key programs, changes and initiatives impacting them and the business.
- Build communication plans and messaging that drive desired employee knowledge, perceptions and behaviors and are aligned with Nuveen’s vision and business strategy.
- Plan and develop communications designed to drive a unified Nuveen culture and set of values across multiple business lines and geographic locations.
- Plan and develop communications that reinforce a “One Nuveen” mindset and way of operating, helping to break down silos and unify employees across the company.
- Engage employees company-wide in Nuveen’s vision, brand, business strategy, key accomplishments, priorities, client wins, etc.
- Equip employees with the knowledge and messaging they need to understand the Nuveen brand attributes and how to demonstrate them; enable employees to be brand ambassadors and tell a consistent and compelling Nuveen story.
- Develop and deploy to front-line (client-facing) employees timely notifications about key business updates impacting their clients, as needed.
- Collaborate closely with HR to drive programs and communications that increase perception of TIAA as an employer of choice.
- Collaborate closely with Compliance to drive programs and communications about company policies impacting employees.
- Collaborate closely with Employee Communication counterparts at parent company TIAA on various communication programs and needs.
- Provide editorial oversight and direction for daily news lineup on intranet home page.
- Help plan and develop content for employee Town Hall meetings.
- Draft and edit a high volume of communications on a variety of topics on a daily basis to be deployed to all Nuveen employees or to employees within a business line. These communications may include email announcements, intranet stories, talking points, etc.
- Partner with Marketing colleagues to ensure that communications are “on brand”.
- Work closely with HR, Compliance, Legal and other business partners to ensure that communications comply with the organization’s policies, employment laws and regulations.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Communication, Marketing or related field.
- At least 7 years working in corporate communications, including strategic internal communications experience.
- Ability to develop and execute comprehensive internal communications and engagement strategies to help achieve business objectives.
- Experience with change management and communicating large-scale organizational change initiatives across multiple internal target audiences.
- Experience collaborating with leaders on communications strategies and best practices; client service mindset and consultative approach.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills; ability to write for a broad spectrum of multi-media communications channels; ability to distill complex information into clear, concise messaging; ability to write in a simple, direct, engaging tone.
- Experience in corporate issues management and crisis communications.
- Some travel required.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience working with HR functions strongly preferred.
- Experience with financial services organizations preferred.
- Experience working with asset management firms preferred.
- Collaborative player comfortable operating in an integrated communications team.
- High degree of flexibility and comfort with ongoing change; ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Continually monitors the market and the competition for new ideas and best practices in effective development and distribution of messages.
- Must treat confidential or sensitive material appropriately.
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment. Read more about the Equal Employment Opportunity Law.
If you need assistance applying due to being visually or hearing impaired, please email Careers Help.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.