HCA, a Fortune 100 company with more than 200,000 employees, is one of the nation's leading providers of healthcare services, operating over 170 locally managed hospitals and over 100 freestanding surgery centers in 20 states and the United Kingdom. With its founding in 1968, HCA created a new model for hospital care in the United States, using combined resources to strengthen hospitals, deliver patient-focused care and improve the practice of medicine. HCA is a learning healthcare system that uses more than 27 million annual patient encounters to advance science, improve patient care and save lives. HCA has been named one of the world's most ethical companies for eight years in a row. At HCA, we are driven by a single goal: the care and improvement of human life.
- Supports the implementation of HCA's Strategic Goals for two of HCA-Special Asset Group's functions: (1) Material Transactions; and (2) Strategic Investment.
- Leads and manages material transactions involving operations assets, including acquisitions, investments, joint ventures, co-development arrangements and partnerships.
- Manages the end-to-end process on transactions, from concept through closing and integration.
- Develops financial models for target transactions to inform pricing decisions, and manages valuation processes with external valuation consultants to confirm fair market value of transactions.
- Coordinates with the lead of HCA's Strategic Innovation Group regarding innovation investments, research and business case development.
- Engages with Executive Sponsors and key HCA business unit leaders on consistent basis to understand, map and prioritize key strategic initiatives in need of Special Assets Group support.
- Consults with Executive Sponsors on transaction, investment and strategies, including investigation, planning and implementation.
- Supervises Development & Acquisitions Support Staff, HCA's M&A support resources (e.g. HR, Division, Finance and Operations Resources assigned to support transactions), outside legal counsel, consultants and valuation firms.
- Conducts industry research on target industries and competitive analysis on transaction targets.
- Connects directly and seamlessly to Senior Management sponsors of transactions, investments and innovation projects.
- Develops and communicates strategic rationale and complex transaction analyses in support of Special Asset Group transaction recommendations to Senior Management.
- Manages large and cross-functional teams in a highly complex task environment, working on tight deadlines.
- Establishes operations plans (transaction maps, strategic plans, etc.) for assignments and manages the team responsible for executing on the plan.
- Develop and manage financial models for transaction targets, and continually research and update the models working together with other team members, as well as other corporate departments.
- Manages employees and team members through subordinates, usually other managers and support personnel.
- Develops both general policies and objectives applicable to all portfolio companies, as well as individual company goals and objectives, and establishes and implements policies and procedure for individual portfolio company operations.
- Coordinates and communicates the corporate regulatory/legal framework and ensures that all acquisitions and divestitures meet the standards provided, and that the portfolio companies have appropriate knowledge and policies.
- Initiates specific plans and programs for new business development in each strategic industry or investment vertical.
- Practice and adhere to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement".
10 years of professional experience in transaction-related business required
Investment banking or venture capital experience highly recommended
- Strong financial background and knowledge in Fair Market Valuation is required.
- Eight years of progressively responsible healthcare management experience in senior level management, with emphasis on complex transactions and investments.
- Ability to identify and implement complex acquisitions, investments and alternative complex arrangements in new or expanding strategic areas and markets.
- Experience in strategic planning, investment analysis and management.
- Thorough knowledge of healthcare industry, track record of good fiscal management, business development experience, and strong external presence, high energy, decisive leadership and ability to lead by example.
- Experience indicating an ability to present complex matters to senior management to drive policy-level decision making, and then translate high level guidance into executable plans.
- Excellent communication skills, an extensive working knowledge of business/contractual law, and a win-win approach to joint ventures.
- Strategic thinker with high integrity, solid values and commitment to the mission of HCA-Special Assets Group.
The candidate has responsibility for building consensus across HCA executive teams, and again in executing the HCA view in connection with portfolio companies - the position requires a team-oriented and detail-oriented manager who can deliver stable performance in an often volatile environment with multiple masters and points of view. EDUCATION
• College Graduate Required
• Other as Noted: Masters of Business Administration, MPH, CPA, or Juris Doctor or other advanced transactional degree strongly preferred.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom