Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Global Trade Compliance (GTC) Center of Excellence (COE) is part of Merck and MSD's Corporate Compliance and is primarily responsible to determine trade compliance requirements and processes globally, as well as executing select trade compliance functions that are best performed on a global and/or cross-divisional level. Among other centralized trade compliance activities, the GTC COE manages and monitors compliance with Merck and MSD's global export compliance standards and programs. Reporting to the GTC COE Lead, the Export Control, Exports and U.S. Foreign Trade Zones Associate Director position is responsible to develop, implement and maintain processes and controls around Merck and MSD's global Export Control Program, export procedures and customs duty management activities with focus on U.S. Foreign Trade Zones (FTZs). The position is required to independently manage responsibilities and priorities, demonstrate strong technical skills, work effectively within GTC and inter-departmental project groups, and exhibit strong leadership behaviors and project management skills.
- Work with the GTC Standards & Assurance team to develop and maintain export control and other export and duty management/U.S. FTZ related standards and procedures; and to design and upgrade related training materials
- Drive or assist with the implementation of compliant processes globally (such as Merck and MSD's Export Control Program)
- Collaborate with the Legal department on obtaining applicable export licenses
- Manage one direct report on a Senior Specialist level; and effectively lead the team to provide technical assistance to stakeholders on export/FTZ related issues, questions and queries
- Collaborate with FTZ administrators and monitor compliance with reporting and recordkeeping requirements
- Regularly review and rationalize FTZ activities (include new materials on a timely manner and decide on terminating activities, if warranted)
- Understand and interpret applicable legislation and monitor export related legislative changes globally. Coordinate communication of changes to the business in collaboration with GTC Standards & Assurance
- Coordinate applicable post entry activities and lead prior disclosure and/or voluntary disclosure efforts relating to exports/FTZ, if required
- Assist the GTC Standards & Assurance team in export/FTZ audits
- Work with global trade management systems, like SAP GTS and Integration Point to ensure that all export and duty management/FTZ related data is maintained and accurate and that processes are correct
- Benchmark with other companies on export/FTZ practices helping to ensure that Merck and MSD's programs represent world-class practices
- Represent the company in trade organizations and in front of government agencies, as required
- Oversee external consultants/contractors and manage related budget.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree required (advanced degree preferred)
- Minimum of 9 years of functional expertise with international trade and/or U.S Export Control
- Minimum of 4 years of managerial experience
- U.S. Foreign Trade Zone knowledge and experience
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Prior experience interfacing with international companies
- Prior hands-on experience using Microsoft products (Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and Word)
- Experience with global trade management systems like SAP GTS or Integration Point, or similar databases
- Business-level fluency in spoken and written English
- Excellent project management experience and ability to drive complex projects across multiple functions
- Proven ability to run effective change management activities, delivering processes and systems that are fully adopted and sustained by the business users
- Highly developed logical thinker who can take complex requirements and convert them into actionable solutions and process specifications
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Sustained level of high performance
- Awareness of diversity.
- Trade-related certification(s)
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement