The Boston Biomedical Consultants (BBC) division of QuintilesIMS actively analyzes the entire In Vitro Diagnostic (IVD) industry, providing consulting services and market research capabilities to clients. IVD products are medical tests that examine samples to detect, diagnose, and manage medical conditions. This niche market generates >$50 billion in revenue and is in constant flux with new technologies, mergers and acquisitions, and new companies.
The Associate Market Analyst is a professional staff member of BBC contributing to consulting projects through research, data analysis, and report/presentation preparation. An Associate Market Analyst must be a high-energy, dynamic individual seeking to follow the evolving IVD industry, which continues to grow and develop synergies with imaging and pharmaceuticals.
Associate Market Analysts are an integral part of BBC project teams, assisting in all client and research work. An analyst will have the opportunity to cover a specific area of the IVD market and several companies. This role is best filled by an individual with the initiative to engage in primary market research.:
- Developing in-depth knowledge of the specific companies and markets using internal BBC files (e.g., financial, product), with responsibility for updating information.
- Building and maintaining a contact network across IVD industry personnel, IVD laboratories (i.e., IVD product end-users), health care providers, regulatory/ government personnel related to the IVD business, and university/clinical research personnel.
- Keeping apprised of developments in the IVD industry through continuous surveillance of scientific literature, company reports, and medical publications.
- Conducting telephone and in-person interviews with primary information sources.
- Developing company/product profiles and competitive assessments.
- Performing computational checking and editing of spreadsheets.
- Writing sections of reports and contributing to analysis and graphics of projects.
- In order to maintain in-depth knowledge of IVD manufacturers, distributors, and end-users, Associate Analysts have the opportunity to attend conferences to learn about different manufacturers, and to visit labs to see first-hand how experts use the instruments. Associate Market Analysts also join industry associations or societies, in order to:
- Collect relevant association data
- Join a working committee
- Participate in meetings
- Write meeting reports
BBC maintains an active database of information for a number of markets and companies. Associate Analysts are expected to have versatile computer skills in order to update data in this database, and to produce spreadsheets and graphics for presentations.:
- B.S. or B.A. with academic excellence One to two years of business work experience (full or part-time) is a plus.
- Proven analytical and conceptual skills that have enabled the candidate to excel in academics and prior work positions.
- Demonstrated leadership potential through specific examples of initiative and leadership, in work or non-work settings.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn new information and quickly build a knowledge base.
- Capacity to handle a high degree of multitasking on a daily basis.
- Bilingual skills are a plus, given BBC's global coverage of the IVD market.