Responsible for setting the merchandise strategy for a category including assortment selection, pricing, promotions and develops the line plan. Drives vendor selection and negotiation of product purchase, terms and ongoing relationship. Stays abreast of market and competitor trends.
Education and/or Experience
- Purchases and manages the merchandise selection to maximize sales and margin and contribute to the business and financial goals of the merchandising group.
- Manages product assortment and product specifications in assigned area in order to identify and address opportunities within the business and the market to maximize sales and margin opportunities.
- Negotiates product costs, terms and shipping/returns issues.
- Act as liaison between merchandising, distribution center and stores in an effort to track shipments and floor purchase orders.
- Develops and manages vendor relationships in order to ensure the best prices, products and shipments.
- Identifies items to maximize promotional and marketing strategies to meet sales and margin goals.
- Provides input to the other merchandising functions to determine the products lifecycle, exit strategy and inventory aging standards within the assigned area.
- Assists with the development of business plans that maximize sales, margin dollars, and margin percentage, based upon current business trends and additional internal business and external market factors.
- Participates in recommending, setting and approving product pricing strategies to achieve specific margin objectives, execute exit strategies and recommend appropriate markdowns.
- Works with other merchandising departments in managing the performance of the product lines through sales, promotion cost, markdowns, inventory, product quality, and selling costs.
- Bachelor's degree in Merchandising Management, Supply Chain Management, Economics or Business from four-year college or university.
- 2-4 years related buying experience
- Retail buying experience required