Associate CMI Manager - Connect
Location: Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
Posted: December 16, 2016
Reference ID: 16000JL1
Associate CMI Manager - Connect
The world as we know it has changed and the rate of change of technology is accelerating. Moore’s Law of doubling in speed and halving in cost is now considered too slow to explain changes in computing power. Reusable rockets are allowing us to put more low-cost satellites in orbit, which can be used to bring broadband internet to every square inch of the planet. This will bring billions of people online. As inventor Jared Ficklin said: “It used to be the goal to get one computer into every one home. Now the idea is to get one thousand computers into every one home.”
As a result, media buying and planning has also changed. Programmatic buys allow us to serve our creative to multiple targets audiences based on a variety of factors, scalable targeting gives us the ability to deliver unique assets to different groups of consumers, and dynamic creative allows us to leverage data to adapt creative for certain situations to make the content more relevant.
Consumers are more connected than ever before. They are shopping more online, they are turning to online videos for entertainment and information, they are streaming TV shows so they can watch when it’s convenient for them, they are influenced by online personalities, and they are rarely found without a mobile device in their hand.
We are truly living in a multichannel and multiscreen CONNECTED WORLD. And as a result this means engaging with consumers on their terms – when they want, where they want and how they want.
The vision for Connect is to embrace this CONNECTED world. Connect is where people, data, technology, & measurement become one. Where efficiency & effectiveness metrics collide. Where all consumer touch-points matter.
Connect will enable a holistic 360 degree view across all digital & non-digital activities to provide insight into brand growth drivers and return on investment. This starts with 1) upfront communication strategy and spend allocation, 2) followed by in-market monitoring/optimizing and continuous performance tracking, and 3) finally learning implementation.
We are focused on answering the billion dollar question: How do we understand the performance & impact of every dollar we spend to grow our brands and enable Unilever to win in market?
We connect people, processes, technology and data to understand how every dollar invested in Marketing by brands is spent and how it contributes towards our business strategy.
We ensure brands have insights that enable the delivery of the Right Message, in the Right Place, at the Right Time, on the Right Device. This means understanding who our target audience is, when and how best to connect with them, where to connect with them, and how to measure impact.
Components of Connect:
Connect focuses on always-on consumer touchpoints across channels/platforms to understand how all touchpoints work synergistically to drive impact.
Connect is not solely focused on paid media campaigns, but rather 24/7 brand communication.
Specific elements include:
1) Upfront consumer strategic planning by owning & leading Consumer Journeys – implementation of learning into communication strategies to enable effective spend allocation across channels
2) Insights to optimize communication across touchpoints & media spending
3) Real time monitoring/optimizing, and embedding learning back into business strategy
4) Continuous digital performance tracking, benchmarking, & reporting
5) Lead strategic digital partnerships and develop research agendas with top global partners (Facebook, Google, Twitter, Snapchat)
6) Drive thought leadership around emerging consumer habits/trends
7) Responsible for piloting new innovative research solutions
Duties & Responsibilities
This role will develop and integrate: 1) consumer insights on how people use media platforms and consume content and advertising on those platforms, 2) media channel and multi-platform insights that define the role of each media channel and 3) consistent measurement of media campaigns that enable the ability to analyze and extract learning that will drive business value and improve media investment.
As brands invest more money in digital, mobile, and video, you will be responsible for understanding how to measure new and emerging media platforms, the role they play within the entire media mix and how they deliver against brand measures and ROI.
You will work closely with the extended Connect team across the world to develop and embed measurement tools and best practices.
You will also work closely with internal Media business partners and external Media agency partners on upfront comms planning, research agendas, and measurement solutions.
- Be responsible for leading a market or category [depending on scope of role] within Connect
- Partner with the CMI market or category leads [depending on scope of role] on business objectives/needs
- Be the expert on “all things media” for the market or category [depending on scope of role]
o Lead learning on what works/doesn’t work, best practices, etc.
Partner with Analytics to understand ROI drivers of the market/category
Partner with the media agency/media team to understand campaign/brand performance/drivers
Partner with the People Data Center to understand social listening/impact of influencers/etc.
- Lead the Consumer Journey work for the market or category [depending on scope of role] in partnership with CMI Business Partner
o Lead integration of learning into the comms strat planning/channel allocation process
- Lead in-market tracking/optimizations for market specific initiatives (in partnership with the PDC/media agencies) or for global initiatives [depending on scope of role]
- Lead digital measurement reporting for the category [global roles]
- Embed learnings across CMI community
- Be responsible for building and developing relationships within the global-wide Connect team and across key business partners within Media and CMI
Desired Way of Working:
You should have an entrepreneurial mindset and spirit to embrace a research discipline that is continuously evolving. You should have a passion for consumers and media and a desire to continuously learn. You need to demonstrate strong communication and presentation skills as you will be required to give internal presentations. You will need to understand Unilever’s business structure and demonstrate the confidence to interact and communicate the business value of Connect to senior leadership. Your mission is to be an expert advisor to the business and to provide thought excellence and lead the business in areas that unlock growth.
The Connect team consists of:
- Pioneers who pioneer the future of media through global scale, expertise and entrepreneurial spirit
- Intelligent risk takers ... We embrace opportunities & push boundaries
- Leaders who inspire through our actions ... We set forth the path for cmi and enable our teams to step change the business
- Bachelor's degree required
- Demonstrated high performance, minimum 3 years of relevant consumer/media/market research experience required
- MS Office proficiency required
- Personal passion for media/digital required
- Prior Media Insights / media research experience preferred
- Prior media agency experience (either working at an agency or working directly with an agency) preferred
- Prior Brand building / CMI experience preferred
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and prioritise workload as requests will likely be more than resources allow
- Good analytical thinking and communication skills to present clearly, simplify complex topics and influence decision making; communication skills both written and verbal
- Comfortable working with data (analysis and interpretation)
- Comfortable working as part of a virtual and global team
- A team player; accountable, open minded who likes to work in rapid and agile way
- Global-wide Connect team
- Integrated Marketing Org (brand teams)
- Content / Community/ Commerce Centres of Excellence
- Media team
- Agency partners
- People Data Center
- Advanced Analytics Unit
Unilever offers a competitive compensation package which includes: Medical & Dental Plans, Life Insurance, including eligible spouses, domestic partners & children; Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, Retirement & Savings Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Vacation and Holidays.
Please note: as part of the job application, you will be asked to complete pre-screening questions. Completion of the pre-screening questions are mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself plenty of time to complete both the application and pre-screening questions. If the pre-screening questions are partially answered or not at all, it will adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the pre-screening questions at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law
Employment is subject to verification of pre-employment drug-screening results and background investigation.