Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck's world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck's powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you'll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
Merck is currently seeking a Purification Lead (Associate Director) within the Discovery Chemistry Department located at our South San Francisco, CA site. The successful candidate will lead a group of scientists in a multidisciplinary, highly collaborative environment providing purification expertise to drug discovery teams in support of the research portfolio.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Setup, implementation, and maintenance of an automated, mass-guided purification workflow for small molecule singleton and library purification of crude reaction mixtures
- When appropriate, specialty separations, including enantiomers, impurities, peptides, large molecules, and conjugates
- Use a wide range of established techniques (LC, SFC, MS) while developing novel purification capabilities and workflows to successfully support the wide range of needs in Discovery Chemistry
- Mentoring of scientific reports on best purification practices and workflows
- Standardization, qualification, and basic maintenance of lab-deployed purification equipment
- Interacting closely with sourcing partners and other purification groups across MRL to share best practices and develop new capabilities.
- Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of (10) years experience in Chemistry
- Master's Degree with a minimum of (7) years experience in Chemistry
- Ph.D. with a minimum of (3) years experience in Chemistry
- Experience as a Lead Chromatographer in a Pharmaceutical/biotech setting.
- Experience managing other purification scientists.
- Global understanding in analytical chemistry and state of the art purification techniques with a strong track record in the field, specifically with HPLC, SFC, and Mass Spectrometry.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Strong troubleshooting and routine maintenance abilities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced team environment.
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.