Merck is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and consumer health products, as well as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
At Merck's campus in Elkton, Virginia, we currently have an Associate Director of Engineering position available in Technical Operations. The manufacturing facility is located in the Shenandoah Valley along the Shenandoah River and the Blue Ridge Mountains - just a short distance from the University of Virginia and James Madison University.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to apply their enthusiasm, technical skills and leadership skills as a member of a multidisciplinary team supporting the operation of pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical/vaccine product manufacturing facilities.
Assignment expectations include:
- Achieve Safety, Quality, and Environmental compliance excellence in all assignments
- Manage multiple technical and capital projects and assembling and leading multidisciplinary teams within or across functional areas
- Learn new processes and procedures
- Lead and conduct technical investigations and analyses, recommending corrective actions, and seeing them through to successful, sustainable implementation
- Write, review, improve documentation for technical and regulatory compliance excellence
- Contribute to process and equipment safety reviews
- Teach, coach, mentor, and learn from team members
- B.S. degree in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, biological systems engineering, biology, biochemistry, chemistry or related life science or engineering discipline and a minimum of ten years of relevant industrial experience
- M.S. degree in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, biological systems engineering, biology, biochemistry, chemistry or related life science or engineering discipline and a minimum of eight years of relevant industrial experience
- Ph.D. in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, biological systems engineering, biology, biochemistry, chemistry or related life science or engineering discipline and a minimum of three years of relevant industrial experience
The successful candidate must have:
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in manufacturing
- Demonstrated success in managing and delivering multiple complex technical and capital projects
- Demonstrated ability to lead people via influence as opposed to formal reporting structures
- Excellent technical, organizational, interpersonal, collaborative, and verbal/written communication skills - including excellent presentation skills and the ability to communicate with employees at all levels including senior management
- Strong problem solving skills and a hands-on approach to problem solving, with a bias toward going to see problems for oneself in the field
- The ability to examine an issue from diverse perspectives (safety, compliance, maintenance, automation, equipment, process, and people) in order to best understand and resolve it
- Enthusiasm, confidence and initiative-taking ability needed for continuous learning and its applications
- Strong drive to succeed and to help others do the same
- Experience working in a cGMP environment
- Biologics or vaccine processing experience
- Sterile processing experience
- Technical writing experience
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement