Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Associate Director is responsible for global category management and sourcing leadership of marketing categories through collaboration with regional and/or local sourcing professionals.
These marketing categories may include creative/digital agencies, adaptation/execution and medical education.
The candidate will work with the global team to support development and implementation of sourcing strategies. Responsible to establish and lead cross-functional teams through the Sourcing Management Process (SMP) and to provide strategy oversight for Local and Regional components of the category.
Responsible for identifying and managing key metrics including savings, supplier diversity and working capital to established objectives.
The degree and time dedicated to each of these activities will vary depending on the maturity of the category and the strength and level of trust acquired with both suppliers and business partners.
- Strategy creation
- Definition and planning of high level objectives targeted to long term results that will impact the way Merck views and purchases this category. This is the "big picture" creation and it entails active engagement with senior stakeholders as well as critical members of the business in the category during the course of SMP.
- Meetings with stakeholders to discuss SMP strategic tools; participation in workshops and meetings during SMP; dialogue and meetings with Global Procurement (GP) in connection with Target; participation in Market Intelligence activities in connection with Target; data gathering and analysis in connection with Target; others that contribute to fundamentally change or effect the status quo in pursuit of a long term competitive advantage to Merck.
- Strategy execution
- Implementation of tactical plans or projects directly linked to a strategy created during the course of SMP.
- Development, rollout and execution of RFIs/RFPs pursuant to supplier selection aligned with strategic goals; process re-engineering in cooperation with the business pursuant to modify or create processes in connection with strategic goals; dialogue and meetings with GP in connection with execution of strategic goals; others that are directly linked with execution of strategic goals.
- Drive ongoing procurement activities pursuant to transactions and projects not in connection with SMP or strategy creation/execution. This is the "keep the lights on" activity and it is normally driven by daily/weekly requests from the business and procurement.
- Contract review/negotiations; PO issue resolution; creation of new vendors; supplier issue resolution; technology/process execution; dialogues and meetings with GP in connection with supplier and stakeholder resolution; data gathering and analysis leading to short/medium term insights not in connection with SMP or strategy creation/execution; all transactions not in connection with SMP or strategy creation/execution which ensure sustainability of the procurement function.
- Supplier management (SRM)
- Design, planning and implementation of actions and projects in connection with SMP or strategic goals pursuant to develop, improve, sustain or reposition Merck's relationship with critical/strategic suppliers.
- Development/participation in supplier forums, congresses or market organizations; dialogues and meetings with business partners and suppliers in connection with Target; review, analysis and negotiation of contracts pursuant to Target; data gathering/analysis pursuant to generation of insights in connection with Target.
- Business Partnering:
- Design, planning and implementation of actions pursuant to develop, improve, sustain or reposition Global Procurement's relationship with critical/strategic business partners.
- Development of strategies to engage with business partners pursuant to Target; dialogues and meetings with business partners pursuant to Target; development and understanding of stakeholder maps; sponsorship retention and sustainability during the course of SMP; facilitation and coaching of workshops during the course of SMP.
This role is responsible and accountable for sustaining existing and developing new cooperation frameworks across three stakeholder groups:
- With Procurement Colleagues: Participates in/leads teams of global, regional & local representatives to develop and implement strategic source plans as well as to ensure alignment on key initiatives and priorities for broader Marketing services categories. Act as a member of the team willing to carry out the mission, constructively coach and develop both direct reports and colleagues alike, and ensure that input from all members is taken into account.
- With Business Partners: Identifies and engages with critical stakeholders and partners to define and meet or exceed business requirements and identify and manage profit plan savings targets. Understands strategic business requirements at 1-3-5 year horizon. Acts as a trusted advisor to a wide range of business partners in the Marketing organization with a keen ear for needs and wants, and the ability to influence and guide strategic decision making, but also the courage to appropriately challenge the status quo.
- With Suppliers: Responsible for building relationships with Global, International and Enterprise suppliers and managing key supplier performance against business requirements using proven processes (i.e. SVM) ; ensures adequate inclusion of diversity suppliers in RFPs and contracts as applicable. Supports major Regional supplier relationships. Acts as a representative of the Corporation with a relentless drive to ensure Merck is using Supplier's core competencies, provides a fair opportunity for sustainable growth, and optimizes the spend.
Process, Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and Market Knowledge
- Sourcing Management - Uses the Sourcing Management Process (SMP) to manage assurance of supply, quality, service, cost, innovation and regulatory compliance within assigned categories resulting in strategies which optimize value and ensure appropriate risk management. Understands the Sourcing Management Process and how to apply required tools in the creation and implementation of source plans.
- Proactive Cost and Cash Flow Management: Achieves cost control, cost reduction, and cost containment and cash flow targets, and adds value to area of expenditure through a strong TCO orientation and process management.
- Market Knowledge and Insight: Uses thorough market knowledge and data analysis to gain critical insights that inform the creation and execution of Sourcing Strategies and continuous improvement activities. Actively participates in relevant industry conferences and events as appropriate.
- BS in Business, Finance, Marketing or related field strongly preferred.
- MBA or advanced degree and/or relevant certification is desirable.
- Seven or more years experience in strategic sourcing (global category management) or related role.
- Knowledge of Procurement related business processes
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity required
- Demonstrates solid leadership capabilities at the Manager level, with particular strengths in collaboration, written and verbal communications, and cross-functional teamwork
- Marketing experience desirable
- Experience in international business or management consulting also desirable.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement