Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Associate Director of Procurement - Chemicals/VBS Direct Materials is responsible for leading sourcing projects supporting the internal manufacture of API, bulk drug substances, drug products (small molecule & biologics), and vaccines, within the Merck manufacturing network (including pilot plants and commercialization sites).
Responsible for executing operating objectives for the procurement function, with key activities including, but not limited to: product sourcing, supply risk management, supplier performance improvement, cost reduction, supplier diversity development, working capital improvement, and supplier relationship management.
Implement strategic direction for procurement efforts and execute tactical procurement processes; work with MMD (Merck Manufacturing Division), and line of business leadership in the establishment, communication and implementation of business goals and to achieve business targets. Serve as a resource regarding processes, procedures and systems for procurement function.
Support/lead selection of suppliers to ensure appropriate savings and service levels. Ensure that all legal contract requirements are met. Manage relationships with external contacts to ensure optimal team performance and to take appropriate actions by implementing contract negotiation, communication with suppliers and/or or modifying procedure to ensure customer satisfaction.
Serve as an operational and technical resource for all procurement in the communication and resolution of purchasing systems issues; negotiate successful resolution to problems or concerns; educate customers about process and technology of procurement function. Work with Global Procurement colleagues to ensure compliance to global standards.
Enforce compliance with all Global Procurement policies and procedures by using a data driven business case approach.
Provide support for the Supplier Diversity & Development Program and engage in goal establishment, action planning and financial/quantitative reporting, as required. Primary activities include, but are not limited to
- Accountable for development and implementation of robust sourcing strategies that link to core business deliverables while leveraging the marketplace and supplier community. Delivers exemplary results in the right way. Procurement Leadership
- Provide the leadership, direction, and policy for the function building a high performance engagement model with the line of business, regions, and sites. Category scope
- Direct responsibility for supplier relationships around the world for locally managed materials, and is point of contact for global relationships with numerous key suppliers, which are complex and difficult to manage. Sourcing Management
- Utilize/drive sourcing management as a structured process including obtaining sponsorship and creating/leading cross-functional teams. Ensure appropriate sourcing rigor. Compliance to Source Recommendation Committee (SRC), category strategy development, Supplier Performance Management process, and other supply management processes is key. Strategy Development/Implementation
- Create breakthrough strategies which deliver quick wins and generate legitimate business value. Drive innovation. Continuous Improvement
- Ensure that every supplier relationship is established with intent of future continuous improvement, and to lead and manage the measurement and review process to ensure delivery of expectations. Stakeholder Management
- Work in a way that positively engages the support of business colleagues using problem solving, transparency, and proactive communication skills. Build sourcing management pipeline, ensuring stakeholder alignment and compliance to supply management processes. Diversity
- Actively support diversity, both within Merck as well as expanding relationships and spend with Diverse Suppliers. Business requirements/cost management focus
- Must have keen insight and understanding of business requirements on a 1/3/5 year horizon, and partners GP and business peers to drive cost reductions. Implement Supplier Value Management with the key suppliers in this category to foster innovation, manage supplier performance, establish appropriate governance model, and ensure continuous improvement. Qualifications:
- Required: BS degree, preferred degree concentration in engineering, chemistry, chemical engineering, and manufacturing.
- A minimum of 5 years procurement and business management experience, within manufacturing environment or company.
- Technical - Broad base of procurement category knowledge, experience within chemical process/manufacturing, vaccine, biologic, or sterile product manufacturing environment
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement