Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Associate Director, Beef Cattle Marketing position is part of the Food Animal Marketing Team managing all marketing functions of the beef cattle team.
The Associate Director will have primary responsibility for providing leadership in the strategic, operational and implementation of marketing strategies for the beef cattle team in the food animal market in the US. This individual will lead and manage all brand positioning, messaging, internal and external communications including direct to producer, digital and traditional media advertising, product pricing and related trade and industry programs. He/she will be responsible for developing and delivering the species financial plan including topline sales, spending and profit contribution.
This position, in collaboration with other business partners, is responsible for portfolio development and application of life cycle management and cattle innovations into the FPA Business Unit. The incumbent insures that a viable pipeline of cattle products, solutions and services are being prioritized and planned for the Food Animal Business Unit.
Key responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Establish business and innovation strategy in alignment with the Merck Animal Health Food Animal strategy.
- Lead the cattle brand teams to implement marketing excellence for all the beef cattle brand teams.
- Manage the development and delivery of the cattle teams' annual marketing/financial plans, development and execution of brand communications and allocation of marketing spending.
- Work in a highly cross functional joint accountability environment inclusive of both internal and external support groups.
- Work closely with field and home office based commercial and technical infrastructure teams to properly develop programs that represent integrated strategies to drive sales and market share.
- Liase with the Global Marketing team to leverage global marketing strategies and ensure brand compliance with promotional, positioning and pricing policies.
- Interface with appropriate R&D and regulatory teams to ensure existing and new product development in the beef cattle category is properly aligned with commercial business requirements.
- Lead team to establish and develop an intensive and robust digital media and multichannel marketing strategy across brand portfolios.
- Collaborate with large veterinary practices, large integrated producers, technology companies and internal business partners to align business strategy with the needs of the cattle industry.
- Work collaboratively with internal business partners to develop and implement strategy, roadmap & a support model for these technology/software offerings. Work with marketing, Technical Services and Field Sales teams to introduce new technology and innovative business solutions to key influencers in food animal production.
- Work collaboratively with internal business partners to develop innovative approaches to services as part of the solutions offered by Merck either as standalone or integrated into the current product offering.
- Liaise closely with other functions including Marketing Solutions and Platforms, Sales and Technical Services for optimization of all marketing efforts.
- Ensure customer needs are well understood and all activities/investments across IT, marketing, sales, Life Cycle Management, etc. are aligned to those needs.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BA/BS Degree required (Marketing, Business, Agriculture, Animal Sciences or Economics preferred)
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 10 years relevant experience or MS degree with 8 years of marketing and/or sales experience in the animal health industry and thorough knowledge of livestock animal market.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of relevant brand or marketing management in the animal health or agriculture industry
- Agriculture marketing experience in large flagship brands with a wide range of marketing spending is preferred
- Experience launching new products is required
- Must possess strong financial acumen, knowledge of market research and livestock industry, demonstrating the ability to incorporate relevant data and industry knowledge to identify key business opportunities.
- Strong communication skills, verbal, written and listening skills including the ability to articulate ideas clearly and accurately and deliver influential presentations to the target audience.
- Impactful interpersonal skills and project management skills demonstrating the ability to effectively scope, assign and allocate resources to meet project deliverables.
- Self-starter, able to work and manage effectively in a fast paced environment and develop effective business plans
- Must be forward thinking, demonstrating a strategic mindset with the ability to develop and execute plans that align to Merck's long term strategies.
- Must be able to operate effectively in a team environment
- Must demonstrate solid leadership skills with the ability to set clear and challenging expectations for the team, holding team members accountable and driving high performance.
- Must have demonstrated acumen to understand the business side of food animal production
- Must be able to work collaboratively across multiple departments and functions proactively recognizing and addressing potential barriers that may hinder cross-functional initiatives.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- MBA, DVM or Post-Graduated degree strongly preferred
- Experience in the Food Animal Health industry
- Veterinarian marketing experience in the cattle animal health industry strongly preferred
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement