Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Responsible for the Site technical and regulatory support and implementation of all necessary measures and initiatives required by federal, state and local regulations pertaining to environment and safety protection. Provides direction and is responsible for planning, developing and reviewing environmental, safety and industrial hygiene programs for research organization supported at the South San Francisco site.
- Provide direction and leadership to direct reports.
- Mentor EHS Professionals to build leadership and technical skills to improve individual performances.
- Coach research leaders to enable them to successfully carry out their leadership responsibilities for safety and environment.
- Partner with South San Francisco departments and contacts to integrate safety and environmental management systems into every phase of their operations, as measured by performance metrics. Consult with and advise department personnel to provide sound and timely technical and/or administrative assistance in support of projects, procedures, and long range plans that assures conformance with safety and environmental requirements. Assist Palo Alto site EHS leader with similar responsibilities for the Palo facility as needed.
- Implement Merck corporate EHS strategy at the site operations level: evaluate numerous competing initiatives, ensure robust process, systems, and resources are in place for all areas of accountability, complete internal audits and self-assessments to monitor program effectiveness.
- Prepare, coordinate and present environmental, safety and industrial hygiene, process safety, radiation safety, biosafety, emergency response and/or security training as needed.
- Complete all regulatory submissions, notifications, etc. required to maintain compliance with federal, state, and local EHS requirements.
- Act as site biosafety officer and/or radiation safety officer.
- Maintain liaison with outside organizations, peer companies and federal, state and local agencies as necessary to assure compliance and communication in the areas of emergency response, mutual aid, regulatory bodies, professional societies, and industrial groups.
- Minimum of a Bachelors' degree is required (preferably with a concentration in Environmental or Safety related technical discipline).
- Minimum of 10 years professional work experience coupled with 7 years applied professional EHS work experience in a highly regulated industry.
- Strong leadership and change leadership skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to successfully negotiate with regulatory agencies and senior operations leaders.
- Experience sitting on senior leadership teams to set strategy and make decisions for the site.
- Experience managing a project team
- Masters/MBA desirable
- Three or more years of demonstrated experience managing direct reports, attracting talent and building a strong team
- Relevant professional certification(s) (CIH, CSP, RBP)
- Experience as a radiation safety officer
- Experience as a biosafety officer
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement