Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as an Associate Director – Structural Biology in our San Diego office. Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As an Associate Director working on the Structural Biology team, you will be empowered to lead protein chemists and structural biologists in Takeda’s Global Structural Biology and Biophysics group. OBJECTIVES:
The Associate Director of Structural Biology based in San Diego, leads the protein chemists and structural biologists in Takeda’s global Structural Biology and Biophysics group. This individual is responsible for identifying opportunities to employ the group’s capabilities in the areas of Structural Biology to accelerate advancement of discovery programs in alignment with Takeda Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) priorities. This incumbent supervises the group’s execution of those opportunities to maximize the impactfulness of the group’s research contributions to Takeda’s drug discovery efforts. S/he supports a group culture that is proactive, collaborative, innovative and external facing. S/he insures that the group is employing the most current, effective and applicable technologies, whether internally or externally, to advance Takeda’s drug discovery programs through protein production and structural biology techniques. ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Qualifications: EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Leads the group’s efforts to identify project opportunities across all of Takeda research for using the group’s capabilities in the area of Structural Biology to accelerate advancement of Takeda discovery programs in alignment with Takeda Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) priorities.
- Actively and regularly prioritizes and aligns structural biology efforts and utilization of group resources with DDU priorities so as to maximize the timely impactfulness of the group’s research contributions to Takeda’s pipeline.
- Proactively builds external relationships and collaborations that supplement the group’s internal capabilities so that the group is best capable to advance Takeda’s drug discovery programs through structural biology techniques, whether internally or externally.
- Leads the identification, evaluation and utilization of new and emerging technologies to keep the group’s access and utilization of the most impactful structural biology technologies current, including state-of-art high throughput construct design, protein production, purification and crystallization, and crystallography.
- Oversees effective and productive execution of collaborations, consortiums, and other external relationships relating to structural biology.
- Works effectively with Takeda research managers in other functional areas to insure structural biology personnel work as effective partners with those other functional areas.
- Supports an overall group culture that is proactive, collaborative, innovative and external facing
- Mentors and develops individual talent capable of taking on future leadership roles in group.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry or Biology with thesis, publication(s), postdoctoral experience and minimum 10 years of industry experience and 5+ years of supervisory experience.
- MS in Biochemistry or Biology and minimum 12 years of industry experience and 3+ years of supervisory experience.
- Effective manager and mentor that can build and motivate a high functioning team of scientists as well as evangelizing team’s capabilities within the organization to cultivate its impactful involvement in drug discovery.
- Proven track record of applying structural biology in the areas of fragment based and structure based drug discovery. Experience with membrane proteins including GPCRs and/or ion channels and/or nanobodies or antibodies a strong plus.
- Direct experience working with pharmaceutical drug discovery teams, capable of not only contributing to structural biology research efforts, but more broadly to pharmaceutical drug discovery projects.
- Experience effectively managing external collaborations and service providers and able to bring pragmatic business minded approach to balancing utilization of internal and external capabilities
- Professionally represents the group and company more broadly in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences with the ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise and effective manner.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in life science as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions and/or products and clinical candidates.
- Positive can-do attitude with strong collaboration skills and ability to team effectively with drug discovery scientists.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Possesses a high degree of scientific discretion/intuition and integrity
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Working in cold room (4°C)
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- May travel to various domestic conferences or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required
- Requires approximately 10-15% travel
Empowering Our People to Shine Learn more at takedajobs.com . Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs