Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The U.S. Benefits Health, Insurance and Wellness Associate Director is responsible for the strategic benefit design and evaluation of Merck's U.S. health, insurance and wellness programs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Gathers competitive benchmarking.
- Develops recommendations, in collaboration with HR Operations/Benefits Delivery, for new or modified employee health and insurance benefit plans and programs for review by management.
- Analyzes plans and partners with Global Population Health to evaluate a comprehensive employee wellbeing program designed to improve employee wellness and address rising medical and workers' compensation costs.
- Partners with the global human health business to ensure alignment to the company's business objectives and U.S. benefits/population health strategy
- Develops company cost information for new plans and makes recommendations to management for cost sharing between employer and employee.
- Partners with HR Operations/Benefits Delivery to transition plan and program design changes for implementation and ongoing delivery and communications of various programs.
- Partners with HR Operations/Benefits Delivery to supports training for call centers and HR Business Partners related to changes in benefit plans and programs.
- Partners with HR Operations/Benefits Delivery and Organizational Readiness in the setting of the strategy and review of benefit change communications materials;
- Partners with global C&B counterparts, employee health services and corporate communications and HR Organizational Readiness for the rollout, support and ongoing governance of Global LIVE IT wellness initiatives.
- Manages and assists with the selection and ongoing vendor management of certain company consultants and third party vendors; participates in RFPs and audits.
- Acts as liaison between various Merck stakeholder groups - including Legal, Finance, Procurement and Privacy - on areas of responsibility.
- Supports annual enrollment process
- Responsible for annually updating the Health and Insurance SPDs
- Serves as Trustee of the Merck Union Trust
- Assists in development of company bargaining proposals for employee benefits and facilitates analysis of union proposals with finance and external actuaries. Obtains cost data for company and union proposals and final designs.
- Maintains current knowledge of changing regulations related to employee benefits including ERISA, Section 125, COBRA, HIPAA and the Affordable Care Act.
- Creates and manages Benefits clinical results and LIVE IT dashboards; partners with HR Operations/Benefits Delivery on key metrics for Benefits participation dashboards and Procurement and HR Operations on vendor performance dashboards
- Oversees onsite fitness centers and liaison with cafeteria services.
- Participates in special project work and other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree is required
- Minimum of 7 years relevant experience that includes at least 4 years' experience working for a benefits consulting firm, benefits outsourcing company, a corporate benefits department or health insurance or wellness vendor.
- Experience in areas of employee health and insurance benefits design, employee benefits regulatory environment, health care reform, wellness initiatives, marketplace trends.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; must have strong capacity to deal with ambiguity.
- Must possess strong project management skills
- Experience managing external vendors including working understanding of performance guarantees, contracting including RFP process
- Ability to effectively design, communicate, measure and monitor wellness programs
- Appropriate interpersonal skills for handling sensitive and confidential situations
- Ability to resolve escalated benefits issues; inquisitive mindset
- Ability to review, update and interpret Summary Plan Descriptions and other legally required plan and other documents.
- Excellent mathematical skills and be financially savvy
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint required; excellent presentation skills
- Experience with reporting tools (including claims analysis)
- Experience with Truven (formerly MEDSTAT)
- Global wellness experience
O ur employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement