The Dow Chemical Company
has a challenging and exciting opportunity in Houston, Texas
for a Piping Design Lead
role. The successful candidate is responsible for serving as a discipline Piping Lead for the Global Piping Group. The candidate will leverage their knowledge and skills to execute capital and expense projects from Project Definition through Detailed Design to Construction.
The candidate will be responsible for overseeing technical scope on global capital and expense projects from Project Definition through Detailed Design and Construction in the 100 to 200 mm USA dollar range. The candidate will lead a piping discipline design team made up of individuals from multiple locations (ex: Houston, Michigan, India) on capital projects including large Expense/Retrofit projects to provide quality project deliverables with tasks such as:
- Working in a multi-discipline, multi-location, team environment with both face-to-face communication and virtual software.
- Effectively plan and organize work including setting priorities for Piping Engineers and Designers to meet project milestones for the piping portion of capital projects. This includes working with our other offsite engineering centers.
- Develop manage project schedule and report physical progress of deliverables.
- Developing, maintaining, and tracking cost estimates (material and engineering work hours) for all stages of the project life cycle.
- Developing layouts and conducting reviews to consider constructability, operability and maintainability of the facility
- Coaching and mentoring Engineers and Designers at multi-locations
- Applying global design standards, EH&S standards, most effective technology, loss prevention principles, applicable engineering codes, and best practices
- Ensuring the resolution of disconnects in the Global Piping Work Process and Global Project Methodology.
- Representing Dow in a professional manner with outside vendors, suppliers, and technology vendors.
- Providing technical piping engineering support across functions.
- Working to resolve overall constructability, operability and maintainability issues.
- Ensuring that environmental, Safety and Loss Prevention principles are used in design and imbedded in our Global Piping Work Process.
- Ensuring that Dow's designs consistently comply with applicable industry codes, standards, Dow's Most Effective Technology and Dow global practices and specifications.
- Interfacing with and participating on teams with manufacturing personnel, maintenance personnel, other engineering design disciplines, vendors, contractors, and suppliers as needed.
- Travelling to sites including international locations for field verification, field measurements, field engineering, construction support, and engineering support at third party companies
The candidate should have a working knowledge of piping systems and tools, including:
- Chemical / petrochemical process industries
- Mid to Large Retrofit projects
- Design criteria and standards
- Applicable codes and standards, both national and international
- Safety and loss prevention principles
- P&ID symbology
- Pipe specifications
- Piping Materials (pipe, valves, fitting)
- Virtual software
- Constructability issues, construction techniques, and construction drawings
- 3D modeling (e.g., SP3D, PDMS, PS)
**The Dow Chemical Company does not offer relocation if the position is offered to someone who lives outside the area or reimbursement for travel to and from interviews. If you consider a position that is not within the area you reside you will be responsible for all cost that incur.**Qualifications Required Qualifications:
- 8 or more years of experience in a capital project or retrofit environment dealing with the Piping Design is required.
- 5 or more years as a Piping Design lead is required
- 4 or more years working as a lead or sub lead on a multi-location team
- 20% travel both domestic and international.
- Chemical / petrochemical process industries
- Experience with Mid to Large Retrofit projects
- Understanding of Piping Stress Analysis
- Piping Materials (pipe, valves, fitting) along with Piping Material Specifications
- Excellent communication (written and oral in English) and interpersonal skills
- Able to participate as a team player on dynamic multi-discipline multi-location project teams requiring strong negotiating and evaluation skills
- Experience in simultaneously managing conflicting priorities, resources, and timelines
- Must be able to do field work in an operating chemical plant, take field measurements, and climb stairs and ladders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, such as Word and Excel, and have the ability to learn new systems quickly.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills are required.
- Must have strong multi-tasking, problem solving and time management skills.
- Demonstrate leadership skills - inspire others and lead them through influence.
- A self-starter who can identify, prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English.
- Must be able to willing and able to work in such environments wearing safety equipment, such as respirators, earplugs, goggles, and steel-toed shoes.
- Must be able to willing and able to work in such environments with frequent bending, reaching, and lifting.
- Must be able to willing and able to work in such environments working in tight or closed-in spaces.
- Must be willing and able to climb stairs/ladders and working high off the ground.
- Must be willing and able to stand or walk for extended periods of time.
- Must have a current, valid US driver's license
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
- Knowledge of ASME B31.3, B31.1, and B&PV Section VIII Div. 1 is preferred.
- Knowledge of Six Sigma Methodologies is preferred.
- A minimum of a High School Diploma or GED is required.
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at www.dow-dupont.com .
The positions represented by this job posting are aligned to one of the three divisions, Agriculture, Materials Science or Specialty Products, which are expected to separate from DowDuPont into stand-alone public companies in late 2018 or early 2019. Information on the division alignment will be provided during the recruitment process. Dow Offers: Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits
An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company
Employee stock ownership - and the commitment to long-term success that it brings
On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us , you may call us at 1+800-523-3945 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1+989-636-3674.
A little about us:
Join the Dow team in creating innovative solutions for human progress. A career with us is an invitation to explore, create and make valuable contributions to human progress. We’re a global team of problem-solvers, impacting everything from safe bridges, to fresh food. Andthere’s a science to our success. Discover how we do it.