Associate Principal Scientist - Bioprocess Formulation and Process Development
Location: Kenilworth, New Jersey
Posted: March 04, 2016
Reference ID: BIO004433
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
We are seeking a motivated and experienced Scientist to join the Merck Bioprocess Development unit in Kenilworth, NJ. In this laboratory-based position, the candidate will be responsible for drug product formulation optimization and manufacturing process development of biotherapeutics, such as complex proteins, monoclonal antibodies and derived modalities.
Primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Formulation optimization and drug product process optimization studies, including scale up, fill/finish, transfer to manufacturing facilities and site-to-site transfers.
• The selected individual is expected to have knowledge of advanced biophysical techniques, high throughput tools, stabilization of liquid and lyophilized formulations of proteins, experience with high concentration formulation development.
• Candidate will work as member of a multidisciplinary team to solve complex technical problems related to production of biotherapeutics.
• Technical/scientific leadership, department representation on cross-functional teams, conducting and interpreting experiments, writing technical reports.
• PhD with a minimum of 4 years' experience in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biophysical Chemistry or related fields of experience OR MS with a minimum of 8 years of experience in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Biophysical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related fields.
• Direct experience with formulation development for complex proteins, monoclonal antibodies.
• Experience with drug product manufacturing processes development for therapeutic proteins, process scale-up and optimization.
• Strong laboratory and experimental skills, data analysis and verbal communication skills, ability to multitask, collaborate and prioritize.
• Knowledge of biophysical tools for protein characterization, including DLS, Fluorescence, sub-visible particle characterization, viscosity and surface tension measurements, lab-scale lyophilization instruments.
• Track record of publications and presentations.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement