Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Pharmacology Department at Merck Research Laboratories Boston is currently seeking an Associate Principal Scientist, High Content Screening and Data Analysis. Expertise in laboratory automation and cellular imaging assays is required, along with a strong background in software programming and data analysis techniques. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate innovation, creativity, and self-initiative in design and performance of complex research experiments to support novel drug target identification, lead identification and characterization. He/she will collaborate closely with integrated teams of medicinal chemists, biologists and pharmacologists to drive research programs in Oncology, Neuroscience, and Metabolic Diseases, and will play a leadership role in developing and using new technologies. The candidate will help define departmental objectives, build capabilities, and provide scientific mentoring and technical direction to associate scientists carrying out laboratory experiments, data analysis and reporting. Qualifications:
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Cell Biology, Pharmacology, Molecular Biology or related life sciences with at least 2 years of postdoctoral work.
- At least 5 years of professional experience and leadership in Drug Discovery, in either academic or industrial settings.
- This position requires a proven record of scientific achievement in target discovery or pharmacology (as evidenced by a strong publication record), hands-on experience in assay development and execution, and broad knowledge of high- and medium-throughput automated assay formats, including cellular imaging assays.
- The candidate must be proficient in processing complex data sets, creating experimental protocols and preparing scientific reports.
- Experience with a scientific programming environment (e.g. Python, R, etc.) and data analysis software (e.g. Spotfire) is required, as is expertise in programming and operating automated laboratory instrumentation.
- Cellular imaging and high content screening on GE INCell, Perkin Elmer Opera or related hardware
- High throughput in vitro assay development and execution, including phenotypic screening
- Programming and operation of automated laboratory instruments such as Hamilton, Bravo, or Biomek liquid handlers
- Experience with integrated assay systems from vendors such as HighRes Biosolutions
- Programming skills in Python, Pipeline Pilot, R or related data analysis software packages
- Experience with 3D cell culture and organoid systems is a plus.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement