Spectrum News Rochester is available on channels 9, 14 and 200 exclusively on Spectrum for customers in dozens of towns, villages and cities stretching from Lake Ontario south to the Pennsylvania border. Spectrum News Rochester serves the greater Rochester, Finger Lakes and Genesee Valley area with 24-hour local news, politics, features and weather seven days a week.
The 24-hour news channel shares content with its sister channels in the Spectrum News Networks news family: Spectrum New channels in Albany, Hudson Valley, Syracuse, Binghamton, Rochester and New York City, New York; in Austin and San Antonio, Texas; and in Tampa and Orlando, Florida.
- Prepares online news and feature stories based on on-air scripts as well as information provided by the assignment desk, wire services, newspapers, press releases and footage shot in the field.
- Copy edits for accuracy, clarity, factual content, grammar and spelling while maintaining editorial standards and reporter’s personal style.
- Handles publication of text, video and images to site using online publishing tools and other computer programs.
- Uses a combination of editorial judgment and online performance metrics to set editorial tone of site by placing news stories in a compelling order and effectively promoting them on social media.
- Utilizes social media tools to promote online and on-air content, and to post updates on developing news stories.
- During breaking news situations, writes original news stories in AP print style.
- Maintains highest degree of quality and ethical standards in presentation of material.
- Operates Adobe CQ5 content management system for publication of stories.
- Uses Dalet newsroom management system to access source material.
- Encodes video clips for website using newsroom video tools.
- Captures still images from video clips for stories.
- Uses file transfer program to upload video clips to website.
- Uses online tools to manage news channel’s social media accounts.
- Uses online tools to send out text and e-mail alerts.
- Monitors site metrics on various dashboards.
- Strong writing and copy editing skills.
- Solid news judgment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Familiarity with Internet publishing workflow, including experience with a content management system, image editing software, video editing tools and social media platforms.
- Ability to tell engaging stories in the digital space by adding video assets, photos, social, etc.
- Ability to work on deadline in an organized fashion and to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with trends in online news.
- Willingness to work flexible shifts, including weekends, as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelors Degree, preferably in Journalism/Communication/English or related field.
- 1+ years of editorial experience producing news, sports, and/or lifestyles content.
A little about us:
Spectrum is the nation’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products.