About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
The Gene Therapy area of the Bioprocess R&D department is responsible for the development of GMP manufacturing processes for our gene therapy products. As a member of the Bioprocess R&D development department, the Associate Scientist in Upstream process development is responsible for designing and executing mammalian cell bioreactor experiments in bench-top bioreactors and associated scale-down equipment with the goal of developing robust, scalable, and high productivity processes that produce viral vectors with the appropriate product quality to treat human disease. The work will also involve working with pilot scale, commercial and clinical production facilities to ensure accurate technology transfer and successful large-scale production. You may also be involved in cutting edge technology development projects that seek to discover broadly applicable methods to intensify mammalian cell culture.
• Execute mammalian cell culture experiments with the goal of developing scalable productive processes for viral vectors with appropriate product quality attributes for clinical applications
• Utilize shake flasks, single use bioreactors and bench top stirred tank bioreactors for cell growth
• Perform analytical methods to monitor cell growth, metabolites, and analyze productivity of cultures.
• Prepare samples for analysis for both internal and external shipment to outside laboratories
• Analyze and communicate experimental results both orally and in written reports
• Record laboratory data in accordance the company policy's
• Operate support equipment such as autoclaves and incubators
• Complete the company corporate training programs as required
• Follow all the company safety programs
• BS in biological science or chemical/biochemical engineering
• Strong academic record
• 0-3 years of cell culture experience in a laboratory setting
• Basic skills include aseptic technique, cell counting, culturing mammalian cell lines in shake flasks and/or bioreactors, thawing and freezing cell lines, and determination of cell culture metabolites
• Ability to execute detailed experimental plans, record procedures, and analyze data
Additional Training and Preferred Professional Skills
• Training should include essential laboratory skills; i.e. operation of a pH meter, microscope, incubator, balances, pipetting, filtration, centrifuges, spectrophotometers and working in a biological safety cabinet
• Completion of special projects and/or internships as part of academic training is a plus
• Mechanical aptitude with respect to laboratory equipment and sample processing
• Ability to learn new procedures and work with computerized process control equipment
• Willing to expand scientific skills and accept direction from senior staff members
• Takes the initiative to solve scientific problems and contribute to their resolution
• Able to work in a fast paced team environment with changing priorities
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Some travel between the company R&D and Manufacturing sites may be required.
Other Information - Internal
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.