Automation Controls Engineer
We are actively seeking an Automation Controls Engineer to join our company in the New Century, Kansas location. The primary purpose of the Automation Controls Engineer is to provide automation support to the facility in the electrical, instrumentation and controls disciplines primarily for batch, continuous processes and packaging systems. The individual will work with electrical and mechanical maintenance, operations, safety, and QA personnel to help deliver business objectives utilizing their technical skills to contribute.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform software modifications to existing packaging machinery and process system PLC’s, HMI’s, Batching and Data Collection systems.
- Understand and troubleshoot PLC, human machine interface (HMI), batching systems, and data collection system software.
- Provide subject matter expertise and leadership for plant controls and automation.
- Provide automation support for plant innovations, performance enhancement, loss elimination and process improvements.
- P rovide troubleshooting and development support for plant electricians (24hrs/7days a week).
- Assist in developing training plans and conducting training for electrical technicians.
- Drive controls standards management for controls with coordination from Unilever engineering and other Unilever factories.
- Own management of change process for plant automation.
- Provide technical expertise for PM development and spare parts management for electrical/controls systems.
- Manage plant hardware/software infrastructure.
- Manage plant instrument calibration programs.
- Implement solutions to connect plant employees to manufacturing data.
- Assist with capital project execution as needed.
- Participate in Safety, Quality and Improvement work teams.
- Attend plant-wide critical safety meetings.
- Adhere to the World Class Manufacturing (WCM) principles of Unilever, New Century.
- Attend safety, operational and technical training as required.
- Attend factory acceptance testing at vendor’s facilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in automation control.
- Experience with troubleshooting, programming and configuring Fanuc Robotics.
- Working knowledge of PLC systems including advance program features such as PID loops, SFC’s, CFC’s and SCL programming. Applicable systems include:
- Siemens 410, S7-300 and S7-1500 programmable logic controllers utilizing Siemens PCS7 and Step 7 software and ET200S IO
- Allen Bradley Compactlogix, Controllogix, SLC500
- DCS Experience: Installation, process improvement and maintenance of communication networks such as Profibus, ASI, Hart, and Ethernet.
- Ability to develop human machine interface (HMI) graphic screens utilizing Siemens WinCC.
- Working knowledge of Siemens Batch Flexible software and Siemens Process Historian software packages.
- SQL Database knowledge and optimization.
- Ability to understand and modify electrical schematics, electrical one-line, Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s) and Process Instrument Diagrams (P&ID’s).
- Understand AC and DC motors, servo motors; sensing devices such as proximity sensors, photo eyes, motion detect, raster and vision image barcode scanners pressure, mass flow, temperature and conductivity sensors and transmitters.
- Experience/knowledge with various variable frequency drives:
- Siemens Micromaster and Simocode variable frequency drives
- Allen Bradley Powerflex
- Experience in installing, troubleshooting and maintaining hardware associated with 480VAC Voltage switchgear, transformers, motors and motor control centers (MCC’s).
- Understanding and ability to configure and maintain Virtual Machine servers.
Unilever offers a competitive compensation package which includes: Medical & Dental Plans, Life Insurance, including eligible spouses, domestic partners & children; Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, Retirement & Savings Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Vacation and Holidays.
Please Note: As part of the job application, you will be asked to complete pre-screening questions. Completion of the pre-screening questions are mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself plenty of time to complete both the application and pre-screening questions. If the pre-screening questions are partially answered or not at all, it will adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the pre-screening questions at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities.
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law .
Employment is subject to verification of pre-employment drug-screening results and background investigation.
A little about us:
With more than 400 brands focused on health and wellbeing, no company touches so many people’s lives in so many different ways.